This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

Black coffee. What do you think of it? To many it seems dull and, for lack of a better simile, like gasoline.

But to me? Black coffee is exquisite. It’s minimalistic. It’s clear. It’s an essential part of my daily life (especially Monday mornings).

Recently, I was described as black coffee by a “friend,” whether it was a roast or a compliment, who knows?  

After receiving this compliment, I researched some of the best black coffee drinker myths. Some were very accurate, while others left me feeling roasted—sorry for the pun once again. So, I’d like to take the time to espresso some of my favorites and then debunk them one by one.

“If you like black coffee, you might be a psychopath.”

Okay, fine. Without a cup of coffee before my 8am chemistry lectures, I could truly be considered one. But otherwise, I like to think of myself as a kind and considerate individual—of course after a large cup of coffee.

“Black coffee drinkers are hipsters and artsy.”

My idea of art consists of stick figures, and I can’t even draw them in a straight line. So, once again, this myth: busted. But maybe my recent obsession with vsco (follow me @divaagarwal) accounts for the hipster part of this statement—whoops.

“If you like your coffee black, you’re a grump.”

If it’s 7:30am and I haven’t had my cup of coffee, or if a certain suitemate showers or screams one more time at the butt crack of dawn…I will be VERY GRUMPY.

“They drink black coffee because it’s black like their soul.”

Fine, maybe I fit this myth more than the others, as weeping babies don’t cause me immense pain, but I am one to squeal (quietly) at seeing a small pup on the quad at SLU.

If college has taught me one thing, it’s to not take anything that people say to heart and to instead take it as a compliment. Personally, I like to think of myself as a cool bean. I will admit that, much like black coffee, I come off as strong—personality- and character-wise. I’ve always had a very black and white view of the world. If something is deemed wrong, it is wrong, and if something is considered right, I assume it is right. I’m stubborn and I’m not afraid to share my opinions when I feel I need to. Much like black coffee, I’m minimalistic and follow that in my fashion and decorating sense. To many, I have a straight forward approach to life; I don’t deal well with change and could be considered dull, but that’s just what works best for me.

However, college has also taught me that it’s fine to break out of your shell and try new things. I’ve met so many new people and have learned valuable lessons from them. My semester and a half have made me realize that it’s good sometimes to add milk and achieve that perfect blend.

She's obsessed with black coffee, photography, Grey's Anatomy, and trying new food when not working on her Neuroscience/PUBH coursework.