brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Instagram Influencers Who Will Improve Your Insta-Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

It’s no secret that social media impacts our mental health, with the constant oversharing and comparisons made between our lives to strangers on the internet. Studies have recently shown that after catching up on Instagram for the day, users are left feeling worse than before refreshing the app.

Personally, I know I’ve had to do a “spring cleaning” of accounts that I had followed because the posts were not improving my daily social media experience. Yeah, daily…it’s sad but true. This remains consistent for most users on the photo-video sharing site, so I’ve compiled a list of a few accounts on Instagram ranging from 400K to 6M followers that make checking my feed an enjoyable part of my day.

Confidence Boosters:

1) Chessie King (@chessiekingg)

Chessie is a fitness, fashion, and lifestyle influencer on Instagram who discredits the nasty culture of Instagram fueled by influencers with large followings who are portrayed as “picture perfect” 24/7. This UK-based influencer, reaching more than 400K followers, shares her daily life, workouts, and eating habits all while staying down-to-earth.

How many photos are ‘deleted’ out of the 150 taken to get the ‘chosen’ one? ??‍♀️ I posted this back in summer 2017 when my feed was quite literally a sea of ‘perfection’ & I want to use it to reiterate something. I’ve been guilty of it, I can put my hands up & say my recently deleted folder has been full of photos I ‘hated’ of myself, photos I’d pray no one would see. Something I’d love you to take away with you for the next time you see a photo of yourself that you want to delete & never see again. That’s your body, that’s your home for the rest of your life. You would never look at a picture of your best friend & think ‘yuk, she looks gross, I wish her tummy looked flatter’… so why would you say that about yourself? Just remind yourself whilst having a scroll, a big chunk of the photos you see posted on here are the ones that made the cut out of a selection… ❤️??

A post shared by C H E S S I E K I N G (@chessiekingg) on

2) Tracee Ellis Ross (@traceeellisross)

“Black-ish” star and daughter of Diana Ross, Tracee is an actor, director, and activist who isn’t afraid to share her voice on social media. With a platform of 5.9M followers on Instagram alone, Tracee brings light and genuine opinions to my feed and keeps me, dare I say it, educated on Instagram.

IS IT FRIDAY YET? ~ i’m waiting

A post shared by Tracee Ellis Ross (@traceeellisross) on

3) Eileen Kelly (@killerandasweetthang)

Social media sex educator-blogger Eileen shares her knowledge on healthy sex-related information and posts body positive photos that some would consider “risque.” She has created a website that acts as a sex education blog where articles written by people of all sexualities and backgrounds make this site unique and inclusive. The IDGAF attitude she shares on social media about the usually taboo topics is truly inspiring.

Did you know that orgasming can reduce a woman’s risk of heart disease, stroke, and depression? #doctorsorders ?

A post shared by Eileen Kelly (@killerandasweetthang) on

Wholesome Instagram Comedians:

4) Rickey Thompson (@rickeythompson)

You’ve probably seen a few of his videos drifting around the twitter-sphere recently, or you’ve known him since his Vine days. His posts include ranting and dancing videos, along with iconic style posts.

Sunday

A post shared by Rickey Thompson (@rickeythompson) on

5) Casey Frey (@casey_frey_)

Another Instagram presence that started on vine, Casey Frey posts freestyle dances, hilarious skits, and questionable pictures that get attention from celebrities as famous as Ariana Grande. He’s probably one of the most unpredictable people I follow on Instagram, but his posts always make me laugh out loud and then ask “wait, WTH did I just watch??”

When ur cleaning the cobwebs out of ur room and the spider that’s been with u for days has to bounce.

A post shared by Casey Frey (@casey_frey_) on

6) Quenlin Blackwell (@quenblackwell)

The girl behind the iconic hot pickle videos has become a recognizable face on most social media platforms. Along with her quirky personality, Quenlin openly shares her experience struggling with an eating disorder. She isn’t afraid to be herself, and it’s very refreshing to find an influencer who is transparent and real.

I’m serving face on a GOLDEN PLATTERRRR. ? @_jlights

A post shared by Quenlin Blackwell (@quenblackwell) on

Check these accounts out!

A young millennial with passions for a greener earth, good music, and mental health