pink shaving razor?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
pink shaving razor?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Original Illustration by Megan Charles for Her Campus Media
Style > Beauty

How to Find The Hair Removal Method That Works Best For You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

Hair removal is often an important aspect of the beauty industry, especially when it comes to traditional feminine beauty standards, although it can have practical uses as well. In this day and age, there are a variety of hair removal methods marketed to us, each stressing the benefits of their own method and the dangers or pitfalls of the others. It can be hard to navigate all this information, especially due to how polarizing the issue has become among beauty influencers. This article intends to provide you with a guide on the pros and cons of some of the most popular hair removal methods.

Shaving

Probably the first hair removal technique many of us were introduced to, shaving is still the most common method of hair removal across the United States. Shaving is much quicker than most of the methods listed, as well as less expensive and more accessible. It also has very little (to no) pain involved and can be easily done yourself. 

According to the Cleveland Clinic, however, results of shaving only last 1 to 3 days—significantly less time than the other methods listed. It can also cause irritation to skin through inflamed hair follicles, itching, ingrown hairs and razor burn. Finding a razor that works well for you can be challenging, as not all razors are created equal and have to be changed out frequently. 

Shaving is a great method for easy and temporary hair removal, as long as you are willing to put in the energy for upkeep. 

Waxing

Waxing has become a much more popular method over the last few years and has become much more user-friendly with the emergence of at-home waxing products. According to the Cleveland Clinic, results for waxing last between 3 and 4 weeks and can lead to a smoother feeling on skin than shaving. It can also lead to hairs becoming thinner overtime, although this is not always the result.

All the same skin irritations from waxing can occur with shaving, including the risk of burning yourself when doing it at home. It also is significantly more painful than shaving, so it may not be great for people with a low pain tolerance. Waxing by a professional also tends to be pretty expensive, and at-home waxing products tend to be more expensive and harder to find than shaving products.

In summary, waxing is great if you want a more permanent hair removal technique, but it requires a little more money and energy.

Sugaring

Sugaring has been on the rise in the late 2010s and early 2020s. According to Byrdie, sugaring is “A traditional ancient Egyptian method of hair removal, sugaring involves using a 100% natural paste to remove hair from its root.” Like waxing, sugaring is usually done by a professional, but it can also be done at home with the right tools. It is reported to be less painful than waxing, but it still has the effect of thinning hair over time. Because the primary ingredient is sugar, sugaring is also water soluble, meaning that it is a lot less messy than waxing.

Sugaring can be expensive though, especially in comparison to shaving, and it is harder to find than waxing. It can be made at home, but the consistency is challenging to get right, and there is still the potential for burning yourself. Sugaring can cause bruising and folliculitis as well.

Sugaring can be a great substitute for waxing if you’re looking for a little less pain and willing to spend a little more money.

Chemical Removal

Chemical hair removal products usually come in powder or cream form, and they can frequently be found at drugstores. They’re comparable in price to shaving products and less expensive than both sugaring and waxing. According to Myayan, hair removal creams can remove hair for up to a month. It is also entirely painless, unlike waxing and sugaring. 

With chemical removal, it is important to note that there is a risk of chemical burns if you leave it on for too long, as well as a risk of an allergic reaction to ingredients. Creams and powders periodically have a terrible smell due to the presence of sulfur, so you have to be wary of that.

Overall, chemical removal is a great method for hair removal if you want less pain than waxing but more long-term results than shaving. Just remember that you have to be acutely aware of the chemicals going on your body.

There is no right or wrong method of hair removal; it is entirely up to personal preference. In fact, hair removal itself is entirely up to personal preference, and it is by no means required to be attractive or considered worthy. If you do choose a hair removal method, however, make sure that you are aware of the risks involved, and that you are choosing what is best for you.

Writer and Editor for HerCampus at Saint Louis University. "I have grown forests in my heart and can no longer be fooled by weeds" - unknown