How to Pay Attention in College as a Passionate Online Shopper

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

I cannot be the only one who receives email updates from my favorite online shopping brands during class. Every ounce of my mind is convinced that I should hunt through Urban Outfitters’ gift collection…during class. I remember that my mom asked for my Christmas list weeks ago, so I begin to construct it…during class. I am starting to think that it is because I am feeling the most productive at this time, and want to feel ahead as the holiday season rapidly approaches. However, I have learned my lesson from online shopping. I decided that 1) I will have more money to spend on food if I do not impulsively online shop, and 2) my grades will suffer if I continue the habit. 

Step 1: Find Your Motivation 

The first reason I chose to go to college was to get a degree in order to receive a job, of course. It is motivating to know that my actions now will directly reflect how well I will do in the future. As a compulsive spender, I need a push to remember that I need a well-paid job in order to provide for myself and my shopping habits… But, sometimes, it gets way harder to be motivated by school. It is like telling yourself, “You can do this. If you pass this, it’ll be one step closer to the degree you want! Then, you will work every day until you retire!” It does not sound as glamorous anymore. 

In the holidays, it is so easy to motivate yourself with the rapidly approaching Thanksgiving and Winter breaks! This has been the best solution for me at this time of year: If I do not skip class (*cough* I was really sick! *cough*), and focus, then I will be rewarded with ultimate relaxation when I am actually on a holiday break. Sometimes, this requires an extra shot of coffee. 

The third way you can be motivated at this time of year (stay with me here, this gets philosophical real fast), is to ask yourself, “what will I learn today that I did not know yesterday?” It is pretty exciting to think about college in this nature. You are actually provided the opportunity to learn something new every day! Not everyone has the opportunity to do that! Just remind yourself: If you had the ability to get yourself to college, then you can surely make it through college. 

Step 2: Planner, Planner, Planner!

I cannot stress enough how important it is to carry a planner. When I believe I will remember the assignment later, guess what? I do not, in fact, remember. This is the easiest way to possibly distract yourself from online shopping. All you have to do is place your focus on classwork instead of shopping. Crazy, right? It actually convinces you psychologically that these have to be done, and done well. When you get to cross an assignment off your list, it is a satisfying feeling. Remember, you still get to go shopping for a perfect planner (I recommend looking up “stylish planner” on Etsy). It is also a slight distraction from class, but if you need a break, it keeps you on topic while also focusing on something else.

Step 3: Swap Your Laptop For a Notebook

It is actually proven that writing in a notebook will result in better grades. This is because you retain the information and are way less likely to become distracted by Pinterest or a bookmarked shopping website. Many students find it difficult to take notes. My advice, especially if the professor does not provide powerpoints or writing on the board, is to just write down nearly everything they say. It is very difficult at first, but your mind will slowly train itself to notice only the important material that needs to actually be written down. It is a process that not everyone gets immediately, but you will! 

Step 4: YouTube Playlists are Your Best Friend

I did not know until recently that YouTube actually provides a study playlist. If you are someone like me, who needs to be alone in order to study effectively, these playlists are the best. Just put it on a low volume and study away! Once I am finished studying, I feel less like I was just sitting in my silent dorm studying for six hours. It almost works like elevator music, but a lot better. You can find YouTube’s COMPLETE study playlist here. If these are too calm, you can also search “Chillhop Study” on YouTube, and there are a ton of endless stations that you can play while studying. It helps manage the noise of everyday life. I did not realize how helpful these playlists were until I noticed that I cannot study without them! 

Step 5: Reward Yourself

Remind yourself that not everything has to be a routine, and you can balance your spending, shopping, work, and school. It just requires the knowledge that you need school and a job in order to get the items you saved to your wishlist! It is very rewarding to know that you worked for something that you purchased. Once Thanksgiving finally arrives, you will be able to shop your heart out with all of the money you have saved before Black Friday. Lastly, remember that there will still be options available on Cyber Monday after class. The entire purpose of their marketing is to lead you to believe that everything is selling out fast. However, it is a lot easier to prioritize school in your life when you take your time to learn and reward yourself for it later. You can shop all you want…after class