Wellness > Sex + Relationships

How Beneficial Are Friends with Benefits?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

Friends with benefits relationships, or FWBRs as researchers commonly refer to them, consist of friends partaking in sexual activities while remaining uncommitted romantically and emotionally. The idea of casual sex with no commitment sounds like a dream come true. It’s as if you can have your cake and eat it too. But do the benefits really outweigh the disadvantages? Three psychology researchers surveyed 400 university students to find out. 

1. Developing Romantic Emotions

The number one motivation for ending friends with benefits relationships to end according to females surveyed was they developed romantic feelings for the other person. There are two paths this can take. Either the two begin dating or the friends with benefits relationship is terminated. 

2. Break-up of Friendship

Men go into friends with benefits relationships assuming that when the relationship ends, they will continue to be friends with the other person. Sadly, that is not usually the case. At the ends of these types of relationships it is rare to see the people involved remain friends. 

3. Developing Negative Emotions

These negative emotions include jealousy, shame, and guilt. Things can get very messy very quickly in these situations. Be careful out there. 

Hey! I'm a sophomore at SLU studying Theatre and Communication with a minor in film. I'm a lover of iced coffee, politics, buzzfeed unsolved, dying my hair, Texas (especially Houston), and supporting local artists. Go see a play and rock the vote!