Hidden Treasures in Saint Louis you Have to Try

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

St. Louis is a city with a rich history. There are known landmarks of St. Louis that we love, like Ted Drewes, the giant chess piece and, of course, the Gateway Arch. All these things are wonderful and definitely worth going to, don’t get me wrong, but there are other things to explore in St. Louis that are just a little deeper below the surface. I want to share with you some hidden treasures that you can also explore and enjoy in the Lou.

Take a Stroll through the Delmar Loop

This is not really hidden if you live in the city, but if you are not from St. Louis, this is a great place to stop by. The Loop honestly has something for everyone; it has restaurants of all different cuisines, concert venues, thrift and vintage stores and so much more. One of my personal favorite places in the Loop is Nudo House, a ramen shop that makes delicious ramen dishes and some of the best tempura I have ever had! The mix of different cultures in the loop also provides a great insight into the different cultures that can be found in St. Louis, which you can’t see in other parts of the city.

Check Out STL-Style BBQ

Like many cities in the U.S., St. Louis has its own special way of making BBQ, and the restaurants in St. Louis do not disappoint. Salt + Smoke has a lot of fans, and many people would argue that it is the best BBQ in St. Louis. Another popular spot to try is Sugarfire. At the location downtown, you can get food a la carte, and they are known not only for their meat, but for their sides, like mac and cheese and their various slices of pie.

Take a Walk Around Forest Park

Forest Park is one of the biggest and most-visited city parks in the United States, and it is home to many different fun attractions for everyone. On top of that, many of the attractions in the park, including the Saint Louis Zoo, the Saint Louis Science Center, The Missouri History Museum and the Saint Louis Art Museum, all have free general admission. There are also many fun places to spend time in the park, such as Art Hill or the World’s Fair Pavilion. If you think that you can hit all of the awesome attractions in Forest Park in one trip, you would be sorely mistaken.

Enjoy the night life [responsibly] in soulard

Soulard is certainly known by St. Louisans for its various clubs and bars, many of which have unique and individual aspects that make them fun to explore. There are other attractions in Soulard, however, including a variety of restaurants and stores showcasing Mexican culture, which cannot be easily found anywhere else. One of my personal favorite Mexican restaurants in Soulard is Chava’s, which has authentic Mexican cuisine for an excellent price. Soulard is also home to a variety of events throughout the year, including Mardi Gras, which plans to return in 2022 after a brief hiatus due to COVID-19.

For Dessert, Try Some Gooey Butter Cake

Gooey butter cake is a wonderfully simple dessert that is well-loved by St. Louisans, and can be found at numerous different vendors. Missouri Baking Co. is well-known as a great bakery, and makes a delicious gooey butter cake. There are also places that make creations based on the classic St. Louis dessert, such as a gooey butter cheesecake from Patty’s Cheesecakes. Another excellent rendition is a gooey butter cupcake from Jilly’s Cupcakes, who was on Food Network’s “Cupcake Wars” twice. 

I hope that you will try some of these amazing things that the Gateway to the West has to offer!

Writer and Editor for HerCampus at Saint Louis University. "I have grown forests in my heart and can no longer be fooled by weeds" - unknown