Happy (Belated) Birthday to Mother Earth! Here Are Some Ways to Give Back.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

Yes, we know, climate change is caused mainly by big corporations. But we, little humans, can also take little steps to prevent damages to our home. Here is a list of things you can do to make a difference:

1. Start using ECOSIA as your default search engine.

A search engine based in Berlin, Germany, Ecosia donates 80% or more of its profits to nonprofit organizations that focus on reforestation. So far it has funded more than 124 million trees. Every time you use the search engine, the plant counter on the top right increases, and for every 45 searches, it plants one tree. 

2. Calculate your ecological footprint at https://www.footprintcalculator.org/ .

The Footprint Calculator created by Global Footprint Network is an amazing source! It calculates your carbon footprint and ecological footprint. It gives you the results based on the question, “If everyone lived like you, how many earths we would need?” and provides you with your personal Overshoot Day. Overshoot Day means the date when humanity’s demand for ecological resources and services in a given year exceeds what Earth can regenerate in that year, according to Earth Overshoot Day. And with the result from the website you can… 

3. Go meatless for a day or even a week.

Change your meat intake in your diet, calculate your footprint again and see how the results change. You will notice significant changes in your carbon footprint and your Overshoot Day. Kathy Freston at Huffington Post states that going meatless for just one day in the U.S. would save:  (1) 100 billion gallons of water;  (2) 70 million gallons of gas; (3) 3 million acres of land; (4) 33 tons of antibiotic and much more. And that is just from one day! Imagine the results if everyone went vegetarian for a week or few months. We could sustain our environment for our future generation.

4. Use Zero Waste Products.

Sustainable Jungle defines zero-waste as using products that are not going to be sent back to a landfill: meaning reusing every single reusable item and not wasting anything. We should already be recycling but in addition to that we should also refuse single-use items and reduce buying new things such as clothes. The aim is to not send anything to the landfills. The Green Green Shop, EcoRoots and byHumankind are some of the many stores that sell zero-waste beauty products, hygiene products, straws and other necessities. 

There are lots of other possible ways that you can help out the planet too. Don’t feel guilty, believing that your individual step will not make a difference. Because it does, and Mother Earth thanks you for that.

A Neuroscience major, minoring in Communication, Aseya has spent half her life in Bangladesh before moving to the States. When she is not busy watching TikTok, you can often find her studying and stressing about the future :)
Amasil is the President for SLU's Her Campus Chapter. She is a Biology major at Saint Louis University. Amasil enjoys writing poetry about the thoughts and concerns she has in her head, they are therapeutic in a way. Amasil loves goats, eating twice her weight in chocolate, and baking french macarons.