Life > Experiences

Galentine’s Day: An Ode to Female Friendships

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

*Dramatic piano music*

I heard that you’re settled down, that you found a girl and you’re married now…

Here we go…

I heard that your dreams came true….

Guess she gave you things, I didn’t give to you….

Come on, I know you know the words

Old friend, why are you so shy?

Ain’t like you to hold back or hide from the light…

There you go…

I hate to turn up out of the blue, uninvited

But I couldn’t stay away, I couldn’t fight it

I had hoped you’d see my face

And that you’d be reminded that for me, it isn’t over…

A little louder now….

Never mind, I’ll find someone like you

I wish nothing but the best for you, too

You got it…

Don’t forget me,” I beg 

I remember you said, “Sometimes it lasts in love, but sometimes it hurts instead.” 

“Sometimes it lasts in love but sometimes it hurts instead…”

If you’re unfamiliar with those lyrics, let me introduce you to an absolute banger. That was the first verse and refrain of Adele’s song, “Someone Like You,” which was released in 2011. I would like to think that she wrote it as an ode to female friendships. That’s not the case (she actually wrote it about her ex-boyfriend), but I like to believe otherwise. The beauty of this song is that it highlights the truth of female friendships. Sometimes you lose contact with someone you were inseparable from. Life goes on, but no matter how much time goes by, you still want what’s best for that person.

In the spirit of Valentine’s Day, I’d like to shed a little light on Valentine’s Day Eve, otherwise known as Galentine’s Day. This is an unofficial holiday introduced in 2010 when a “Parks and Recreation” episode aired and the main character Leslie Knope referred to her plans for February 13th, the day before Valentine’s Day, as Galentine’s Day. It’s a day revolving around the true spirit of female friendships, as she puts it in this video, “Ladies celebrating ladies.” 

Galentine’s Day makes me reflect on all the wonderful female friendships I’ve made throughout my life thus far. It’s almost like there is this secret set of rules that we all abide by, an imprint of love for fellow women embedded in our hearts. Holding the door for another woman as she hurries into the Starbucks. Staying on the phone with a friend as she walks home alone because she’s scared. Belting out the lyrics to “Dear John” by Taylor Swift in your living room in between classes as nothing else matters except that moment. Picking up a friend from the airport, just because. Laughing so hard about who-knows-what until you’re both crying tears of joy. Smiling to a fellow girl as you are both on a hot girl walk. These wonderful times make me beam with love for my Galentines.

In one of my all time favorite books, “The Secret Life of Bees,” one of the main characters, August, shares a nugget of wisdom revolving around the idea about love in different languages. She says, “Did you know there are thirty-two names for love in the Eskimo languages? And we just have this one. We are so limited, you have to use the same word for loving Rosaleen as you do for loving Coke with peanuts. Isn’t that a shame we don’t have more ways to say it?”

So true, queen.

Female friendships are a beautiful thing, because we know this type of friendship isn’t possessive, it captures appreciation. Each female friendship is in a transitory state, but despite the timing of them, we are supportive nonetheless. It’s hard because in female friendships, we don’t just get or give love. It’s something we experience. And we’re told to capture the essence of these spectacular, heart-warming, magical moments that we have shared with our female friends and label them with just this one word: love. 

How rude!

Galentines are supposed to build you up, cheer you on as you chase your dreams, are the listening ear when you’ve had a hard day and lastly but most importantly, provide you with love when you can’t find it within yourself. Galentines are the pieces of our hearts that we yearn for. They understand us in a way that no one else quite can. Galentines will always be there cherishing the moments you’ve shared whether it’s been five days or five years. Galentines are the ones who want what’s best for you in the end, despite your differences.

As February is notorious for the idea of love, I hope you’re able to remember that it’s not about the quantity of Galentines you have. It’s about appreciating the women in your life for who they are, where they are. Each Galentine serves as a reminder that love is most evident in the little moments throughout the course of our days. Let’s all celebrate the galentines in our lives who have shown up for us, when we couldn’t be there for ourselves. Because that is what love is all about.

So until the English language decides to add more ways to say “love,” this silly four-lettered word will have to suffice. To all my galentines, this one’s for you. I love you.

Hi! I’m a graduate student pursuing my Masters in Business Administration with a concentration in Data Analytics. I’m from St. Louis, Missouri, born and raised. I could tell you about my hobbies and how I spend my free time, but instead, here is an organized yet chaotic list of things I love: cowgirl boots, Taco Buddha, scaring my roommates when they come home, walks down west pine, going for drives and singing songs with the windows down, sunsets, the Business School atrium, Emma Chamberlain, bold fashion statements, making Tik Toks, my new Stanley cup with a handle, and teaching Jazzercise.