Career

From Liberal Arts to STEM: the Truth About Chasing a Physical Therapy Major

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

When you think of STEM students, you probably think of prodigies who are at the top of their class and flourish within math and science classes, making it look easy. They are winning math competitions, or writing about their scientific discoveries, or creating a new invention. These types of students are what I think of when I picture STEM students.

I was never like that.

English and history classes were my strongest subjects and I flourished in those classrooms, whether that meant spending my time in the newspaper office, writing content for the next issue, or in the history study hall, chatting with my teachers about the latest lesson.

Math and science classes were never my forte. I often found myself complaining about the difficult content and how long it took me to grasp a simple concept. It felt like I was doing everything I could to be like those stereotypical STEM learners, but I simply couldn’t do that.

However, I knew I wanted to be a physical therapist. After committing to Saint Louis University and being accepted into the physical therapy program, the reality of the next six years of school hit: I am now a STEM student. 

I knew it was going to be tough. I was trading my journalism and modern history classes for biology lab and chemistry lectures. Preconceived notions about myself and the fear of failing classes made me doubt my commitment and application for the program. Thoughts and worries about not keeping up within my classes and being forced to drop out of the program made me terrified to continue my education about something I’m passionate about.

However, I needed to remind myself about the reason I chose physical therapy as my major and passion. I knew I wanted to pursue this career and I had to keep my goals in mind. While my biology and precalculus classes are overwhelming, I remind myself that I need to keep my head up high and focus on the outcome of my hard work. Whether that means spending five-plus hours in the library per day or constantly texting your tutor the smallest questions about your lecture, hard work makes it easier to fall in love with your passion.

As for the absence of my favorite types of classes, I joined the Her Campus chapter at Saint Louis University and I am falling in love with my writing again. I also plan to take more appealing classes as the years continue, however I have to stay dedicated to my science and math classes. I cannot wait to see where my STEM major takes me and what the future has in store for me (except taking physics next year—not too hyped for that).

Amelia is a sophomore at St. Louis University studying physical therapy and a member of SLU's women's swim team. She is often found in the pool or in front of her computer with a coffee in hand. She uses writing as an outlet to express her thoughts and interests.