Four Albums That Have Gotten Me Through Quarantine

1. “Dreamland” by Glass Animals

The highly anticipated, third studio album, from the UK based quartet was released late this summer and has been on high rotation for me ever since. Glass Animals already had a reputation for their cultivation of an incredibly unique sound and this album certainly follows that trend while also introducing some new experimentation. It is a wonderfully eclectic pop record and may be my favorite album by them thus far. Songs like “Tangerine” and “Hot Sugar” will be sure to get you grooving, while the title track “Dreamland” and “Domestic Bliss” are perfect to listen to while just chilling or working on homework. 

2. “The Baby” by Samia

Freshly released only a few weeks ago, Samia’s debut album is a perfect indie-rock record for the beginning of fall. If you like Maggie Rogers or Phoebe Bridgers, you should definitely give her album a listen as it has been a refreshing new addition to all the albums I have on repeat right now. It’s a good album to just chill in a hammock and listen to while you work on homework or while driving around town. My favorite songs so far are “Big Wheel”, “Does Not Heal” and “Winnebago”, but the whole album is really good. 

3. “Punisher” by Phoebe Bridgers

Ever since “Strangers in the Alps” was released in 2017, I’ve listened to Phoebe Bridgers nearly every day. So when “Punisher” was released in mid-June, it pretty much made my whole summer. While Bridgers is known for her incredibly mellow and very sad songs, her songwriting is absolutely fantastic and this album only proves her talent even more. “Punisher” has quickly become a staple in my everyday rotation, even though some of the songs can make me have an existential crisis for no reason. However, this is a perfect album to listen to when you are in your feels at night or if you simply want something slow and soft to play in the background. It’s pretty hard to pick a favorite, but I definitely recommend giving “I Know the End”, “Chinese Satellite” and “Moon Song” a listen if you haven’t already. 

4. “SAWAYAMA” by Rina Sawayama 

I had never heard of Rina Sawayama until I listened to her album earlier this summer, but she has quickly become one of my favorite artists since then. The record, which is an interesting blend of pop and hard rock/metal, manages to discuss and critique topics like capitalism, toxic masculinity, racism and isolation. For example, the song “XS” may sound like a flex song upon the first listen, but it is really a critique of capitalism and how it makes people want more and more. While each song has its own unique sound and theme, the album flows together seamlessly to create such an empowering record. Rina Sawayama definitely proves herself a force to be reckoned with and I can’t wait to see what she does next.