This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

I’ll be the first to admit it: I am a big sappy romance lover.

Whether it is an obviously trashy romance or a cheesy storyline that ends with the typical happy ending, you can sign me up! However, out of all the romantic comedies that I have seen throughout the years, nothing tops the romantic comedies made in the ’90s.

There is a specific art to a ’90s rom-com. It is the crafted soundtrack, the simply sweet dialogue, the perfect actors being cast that gives me the warmest feeling inside. While this selection is very limited, and I recommend exploring some of the lesser known rom-coms to really get a taste of what you love, here are five rom-coms that I would suggest to anyone in search of a good time (and perhaps, a good cry).

1. “My Best Friend’s Wedding” (1997)

Though, this is not my first pick for a Julia Roberts film, this endearing movie is for when you need your spirits lifted. A bit all over the place, there is something very refreshing about the lightness of this film. Following Julianne (Julia Roberts) as she slowly and entertainingly realizes her love for her best friend Michael (Dermot Mulroney), this film is packed full with unnecessary karaoke sessions, chaotic character dynamics, and a comforting reminder that sometimes the ones you love the most are not meant for a romantic relationship. That being said, I will now be singing “I Say a Little Prayer (For You)” in my head for the rest of the day.

2. “One Fine Day” (1996)

Different from the traditional romantic comedy, “One Fine Day” follows the lives of Melanie Parker (Michelle Pfeiffer) and Jack Taylor (George Clooney) accompanied by their charming children, who find their lives intertwined after a mix up of cell phones. Due to this circumstance, they find themselves leaning on each other for help to get through the hectic day, developing a mutual understanding of the troubles of single parenting. With the children as significant factors in the film, “One Fine Day” outlines the reality that sometimes love has to do with more than just falling head over heels.

3. “While You Were Sleeping” (1995)

An excellent holiday pick, “While You Were Sleeping” is the best combination of humor and pleasantry. When Lucy (Sandra Bullock) witnesses the guy she has been crushing on, Peter (Peter Gallagher), fall onto the train tracks and accompanies him to the hospital, she finds herself caught in a deep lie: she and Peter are engaged. The highlight of this film is Peter’s family, whose bolstering attitudes and charisma invite Lucy further into her deceit, all out of the desire to have a family and be loved. This film is best watched with a cup of cocoa, curled up under a blanket, and dreaming of holiday romance and fun.

4. “Notting Hill” (1999)

Another Julia Roberts staple, “Notting Hill” is the classic telling of an ordinary person meeting a celebrity by chance. Book clerk William Thacker (Hugh Grant) finds his life changed when the American actress Anna Scott (Julia Roberts) stumbles into his shop on an exceptionally plain day. They plan to part their ways until an incident with orange juice occurs, ending with a trip to William’s house and a connection that cannot be undone. From Grant’s awkward demeanor and Roberts’s infectious laugh, this movie is bound to keep you laughing and crying all the way until the iconic final monologue (*cough cough* I’m just a girl…).

5. “You’ve Got Mail” (1998)

To anyone who knows me and my favorite films, of course I had to put this classic Nora Ephron movie on here. Though “When Harry Met Sally” and “Sleepless in Seattle” are must-sees when it comes to a proper rom-com education, it is the dynamic between the ruthless Tom Hanks and the pleasantly naïve Meg Ryan in this film that keep me wanting to re-watch it over and over again. A perfect fall film, Kathleen Kelly (Meg Ryan) struggles to keep her independent bookshop open as Joe Fox (Tom Hanks) attempts to put her out of business, all the while both are blissfully unaware that they are in fact each other’s email love companions. Humorous and heart-warming in every way possible, this film is the perfect way to trust in the mystery of the world because it may all end up exactly how you wanted it to.

Quite honestly, I could go on about romantic comedies until the stars come out, but I shall restrain myself (for now). I hope this small selection gives you some ideas for next Friday when you are desperate for a new film suggestion. So, pop that popcorn and settle down and let the romantic side take over for an hour or two.

I current serve as the Co Editor-in-Chief for the Her Campus SLU chapter! I love Nora Ephron movies, cups of tea, and trips to the library! When I'm not writing, you can find me playing the New York Times mini games or listening to my favorite podcasts.