This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

When the first chilly morning hits and crunchy leaves litter the sidewalk, I know fall has officially arrived—and with it, all the scents, flavors and comfort that make it such a special season. From picking apples to roasting pumpkin seeds, some of the best fall traditions revolve around food, and for good reason. Fall food is the perfect transition from summer to winter, as it is loaded with fresh and seasonal produce while still radiating warmth and comfort. 

I’ve rounded up some of my favorite fall recipes for every meal of the day. These recipes are fairly straightforward, highly customizable and great for meal prep. As a college student with no meal plan living in an apartment for the first time, anything that takes longer than 10 minutes to make had better last me at least three meals. 

Before we get into it, I’ll give you a fair warning: I despise following recipes. I love to scroll through Pinterest or Instagram to get meal inspiration, but I cannot remember the last time I actually followed a recipe step-by-step without swapping out some ingredients or shifting the proportions to my liking. I did my best to approximate my typical ingredient amounts, but that being said, I encourage anyone to customize each recipe to their liking and dietary preferences. Use this a guide to achieve those fall flavors we all love so much, and throw in whatever you’ve got in the fridge. 

Sweet Potato and Tofu Scramble Breakfast Bowls

This recipe is based off of a grab-and-go breakfast option from Fresh Gatherings, a café run by Saint Louis University’s culinary and dietetics team. It was a favorite of mine when I was limited to our dining halls, but have replicated it several times now that I have my own kitchen.

Start by cutting up two medium sweet potatoes into one-inch cubes, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper (I like to add some garlic and oregano, too). Pop them in the oven at 425°F on a baking sheet for about 25 minutes, or until roasted and tender. Meanwhile, slice two bell peppers and an onion and sauté in some olive oil with salt and pepper.

To make the tofu scramble, heat up a tablespoon or two of olive oil on medium heat and add a block of extra firm tofu. Break it up into small pieces with a wooden spoon and cook for about five minutes. Add two tablespoons of nutritional yeast to give it that mild cheesy/eggy flavor and sprinkle in some of your other favorite seasonings; salt, pepper and garlic are staples, but sometimes I’ll add a pinch of turmeric or red chili flakes for some extra spice. Keep stirring for another few minutes until the seasonings are well mixed in and the tofu is still soft but not dry. If it does get too dry, just add a splash of your preferred milk and cook for another 30 seconds. 

To assemble, simply divide the sweet potatoes, peppers and tofu into four containers, and you’re set! While it tastes fabulous fresh, it makes an easy weekday breakfast or brunch when reheated in the microwave. For a boost of flavor, top with sriracha sauce or your favorite salsa.

Autumn Kale Salad

The flavors in this salad just scream fall. This was another one of my slightly-Pinterest influenced concoctions, but after my desired alterations, it has become its own new creation! 

Chop up half of a butternut squash in one-inch cubes and toss with olive oil and your favorite seasonings—I recommend salt, pepper, oregano and cinnamon to capitalize on the fall flavors. Spread them out in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast at 450°F for about 25 minutes, stirring halfway through.

Meanwhile, massage one bunch of kale with a tablespoon or two of lemon juice or red wine vinegar. Adding an acid to the salad greens helps to soften the kale so that it’s less bitter and stiff, making it much tastier to eat raw. For a simple dressing, mix together one tablespoon each of olive oil, honey and dijon mustard.

To assemble the salad, toss the kale and the roasted squash with a diced apple, one can of chickpeas, a quarter cup of crumbled goat cheese and half a cup of spiced pumpkin seeds, candied pecans or your favorite roasted nut. This is a great side for a Friendsgiving, or make it a complete meal by mixing in some cooked chicken breast and serving with a muffin!

Loaded Chili

Each fall and winter, my mom’s homemade chili ends up being one of my most missed meals from home. Once I learned how easy it was to make, I had to add it to my personal rotation! The meat and beans keep it hearty, but I love how this version is chock-full of veggies, too! Frozen mixed vegetables keeps things super simple, but this is also a great way to use up those week-old vegetables that are hiding in the back of the fridge before they go bad. This recipe is great to feed a crowd or you can freeze some in individual portions for those cold days when you can’t be bothered to cook.

Saute a diced onion and a few cloves of minced garlic in olive oil for three to four minutes. Add a pound of ground beef and break it up, cooking until there’s no pink left on the meat, then drain the extra fat. Add three cans of tomato sauce, one and a half cans of water (a very precise measurement, I know) and a packet of chili seasoning, then stir well and bring to a boil. Once boiling, add a can of black beans and three to four cups of frozen vegetables—my favorites are corn, peas and chopped green beans. Reduce to low heat and let the soup simmer for at least 10 minutes, or longer if you prefer a thicker broth. If you’re feeling extra fancy, serve with tortilla chips and top with cheddar cheese and a scoop of guac.

As we enter the final stretch of first semester, it is easy to get caught up in classes and the business of our schedules and neglect the food with which we fuel our bodies. These recipes both nourish the body and the soul with the comfort of autumn flavors, and also provide great options for busy college students. They are easily customizable to whatever you have in the fridge, follow a series of fairly simple steps and make enough to be worth your time. So, the next time you get a burst of culinary energy, try out one of these fall recipes—your friends (or future hungry self) will thank you!

A thrifting enthusiast studying Civil Engineering and Environmental Science at Saint Louis University. You can find her running, reading, cooking, and probably running again when the sun comes out.