This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

In the midst of this pandemic, it’s hard to find things that give us comfort. I often spend my days in a whirlwind of academic responsibility, attending online classes, working double shifts and trying to squeeze in enough leisure time to “stay healthy.” Most socially acceptable hang-outs nowadays revolve heavily around staying in rather than going out or gathering in small groups rather than meeting strangers at parties. As an extrovert, I still appreciate being able to spend time with the people I love, but it can be challenging to find comfort when I’m alone. 

Sometimes, the loneliness trickles in, and I want to find a way to cope with everything going on. I’m sure many of us feel this way, especially during midterms. 

Luckily, the world of film provides an escape, a dreamy reality full of adventure, good humor and no signs of coronavirus anywhere. This is why I highly recommend these special movies, with my film taste ranging from a wide genre of fantasy/action to classic rom-coms that I believe everyone has to see at least once. 

This semester, I’ve often found myself going back to these movies from my childhood and feeling both a sense of nostalgia and a rush of happiness as I recall the times I’ve spent watching these films. If anything, it’s amazing to see how much I’ve grown from the first time I’ve watched these movies to now as a 21-year-old collegiate young woman. 

Our favorite stories never do leave us, and so with that being said, here are my top 10 early-2000s films that bring me joy and have also changed my outlook on life. You can watch them alone or with a friend, but they’re bound to get your heart expanding to twice its normal size, especially when hope seems a little frail right now. 

1. “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone” (2001)

Okay, so this first Harry Potter movie is definitely the most innocent and magical (although yes, I am still on Draco Malfoy TikTok and am going through my adult phase of Harry Potter obsession with all of the movies and books)! This film allows a form of escapism as we enter the Wizarding World and go on magical, dangerous and breath-taking adventures. The movie keeps us captivated as we venture with Harry, Ron, and Hermione through their first year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Quite honestly, I will keep recommending this movie forever… it’s just that wholesome.

2. “Legally Blonde” (2001)

As a collegiate woman in a sorority, all I can say is… who doesn’t adore this movie? Reese Witherspoon is perfect as Elle Woods, a sorority president, who transfers to Harvard Law School to win back her ex-boyfriend, only to find herself instead and discover her talent in the courtroom. Not to mention that this soundtrack, with the bop “Perfect Day” by Hoku, is definitely an upbeat one, providing us with perfect positive vibes to keep on chasing our dreams. It’s a funny, empowering story and one of my all-time go-to movies after a rough day.

3. “Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring” (2001)

Embarking with Frodo and Sam on their treacherous journey to Mount Doom in order to destroy evil is a roller-coaster of emotions. In addition, both the cinematography and the plot of this film are simply stunning to say the very least. The fairy-tale characters are more than memorable, and the themes of courage, friendship, and finding hope despite the possible end of the world, are enough to keep us engaged with their story while simultaneously becoming optimistic with our own lives and problems in contemporary society. 

4. “Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl” (2003)

Captain Jack Sparrow… um, do I need to say more? Just kidding, although Johnny Depp’s interpretation of the classic hilarious pirate is definitely something everyone should witness. This film follows the adventures of Captain Jack Sparrow and William Turner, a pirate and a blacksmith, who sail the seas to save Elizabeth Swann, a wealthy lady kidnapped by a cursed crew of pirates. This movie makes me roar with laughter and the sword fights keep me on the edge of my seat! It has inspired me to “keep a weather eye on the horizon” and find pride in strong heroines such as Elizabeth Swann, who is addressed as “King” later in the series. The swash-buckling action, sea-faring quests and gorgeous costume design allow me to dream of one day traveling the world and being as strong and brave as Elizabeth. 

5. “Mean Girls” (2004)

Okay, if you haven’t seen “Mean Girls” yet, please do yourself a favor and watch it ASAP! This coming-of-age, high-school-set movie follows Cady Heron, a home-schooled transfer student, as she tackles fitting in with the Queen Bee, Regina George and her popular inner circle. This movie is a great comedy that just makes you really remember high school in the best and worst ways possible. The social hierarchy and “don’t judge a book by its cover” mentality present in this movie are just too good. Even though it’s a comedy, this movie has taught me not to conform to societal expectations, and to be with people who actually love you for you. In the words of Tina Fey’s character Ms. Norbury: “Don’t dumb yourself down just to get a boy to like you!”

6. “13 Going 30” (2004)

This movie always gives me a rush of joy. Aside from the song “Vienna” by Billy Joel being played for a whole sequence, this film has taught me that it’s okay to take time to breathe. When Jenna Rink finds herself transported years into the future to when she is 30 years old, she is overjoyed. Gone are the awkward days of middle school, not to mention the fact that she now works for a killer magazine in New York City! But hang on tight as she realizes that sometimes getting everything you thought you wanted isn’t necessarily what’s best for you. What’s meant to be will happen, and you just have to stay true to who you are. This movie inspires me to work hard and fall in love with my life and my future career, as well as be at least half of the fashionista that Jenna Rink is!

7. “Juno” (2007)

Although “Juno” came out in 2007, I didn’t see it until I was a little bit older, but it is such a good coming-of-age movie. It talks about societal issues such as the taboo and isolation surrounding teenage pregnancy and the adoption process. Ellen Page does a phenomenal job portraying free-spirited and head-strong Juno, and the music, fashion choices and everyday-life scenes throughout this movie just give off definite 2000s vibes. 

8. “The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe” (2005)

I recently rewatched this movie a couple weeks ago, and when the credits started to roll, everything just felt so bittersweet and hopeful again. This is one of my favorite movie series of all time, and I love how the four Pevensie siblings grow as individuals and royalty as they fight in a war for what is right. The contrast between good and evil is very strong in this movie, and the music is mystical, definitely adding to the sense of wonder in the story. This movie taught me to believe in magic, and it even has a Christian religious interpretation, in which Aslan is comparable to Jesus, who died to save humanity from its sins. Regardless, this is a cinematic masterpiece and it just goes to show how important family, friendship and redemption is, proving that it’s never too late for second chances. 

All in all, I hope that these eight films give you a sense of comfort and excitement during these challenging times. It’s so breath-taking to know that losing ourselves in an art form so beautiful and vivid can help to improve our moods and even our overall outlooks on life. I hope that you find time to get lost in a different world and feel hopeful again. 

Maria is the HCSLU President for the 2021-2022 year. She is a rising senior with a major in Communication and a double-minor in Marketing and Film Studies. Maria was born in the Philippines and grew up around Chicago. She is a published author and poet, and loves all forms of inclusive story-telling, especially for media and entertainment!