This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

Homemade oil blends are the perfect remedy for curing dry skin and hair. Oils work to stimulate healthy hair growth and provide essential nutrients to the skin. By infusing carrier oils with essential oils, an absolutely amazing product for all parts of the body is created. Essential oils work to stimulate the follicles in the scalp and encourage healthy growth. They also provide all sorts of positive benefits for the skin. The cool thing is, oils are so simple to make at home, and you can use things you probably already have! So, here’s a super easy, cost-effective way to make your own recovery oil and see results. When it comes to natural beauty, having healthy skin and hair doesn’t have to cost a fortune.

Here’s What You’ll Need:

4 oz of Olive Oil

4 oz of Castor Oil

5 drops of Lavender Essential Oil

10 drops of Tea Tree Essential Oil

Applicator Bottle

How to Use It:

The beauty of this recipe is that it can be used in multiple ways. Twice a week, I apply it all over my scalp and give myself a brief scalp massage. It feels so good and works to stimulate and nourish the hair follicles, encouraging hair growth. Additionally, I use this oil as a pre-poo to detangle my hair before washing. Before washing my hair, I section my hair, apply the oil blend, and detangle. I let it stay on for at least half an hour and when I go to wash my hair, it’s super moisturized and the shampoo doesn’t feel nearly as stripping.

Your skin can become extra dry, flaky, or ashy from basically anything (hot showers, cold weather, and moisture-sucking indoor heaters). When this happens, use body oils to soften and moisturize your skin. Body oils should be massaged well into the skin at least once a week. It’s best to apply them right after a shower so that oil can seep into the upper layers of the epidermis and hydrate the skin. When skin is damp, it’s like a sponge soaking up all the oil’s nutrients.

The Benefits:

Olive Oil

If you want longer, stronger, healthier hair that shines, use olive oil. Olive oil acts in a way that strengthens the hair follicles and shaft so that they’re less prone to damage and breakage, including split ends. Olive oil also strengthens and softens, helping to treat dry, damaged hair while also exfoliating and even bringing out the color of your hair. The properties in olive oil are gentle and can be absorbed quickly by your skin, making it an excellent natural moisturizer. Unsaturated fats and Vitamins A and E are the beneficial properties in olive oil and key factors in why olive oil heals dry skin on your face and other areas that often lack natural moisture

Castor Oil

Castor oil has been an age-old remedy for hair and skin-related issues. It is an elixir for beautiful hair and supple skin. Castor oil contains Vitamin E, proteins and Omega 6 and 9 that are the key components responsible for good hair and skin. It helps in the reduction of hair fall and premature greying of hair, fights any scalp-related problems, and accelerates hair growth. For your skin, be it pigmentation, acne, or aging, castor oil is the solution for it all.

Tea Tree Essential Oil

Tea tree oil is an amazing natural beauty product that should be a staple in any woman’s beauty collection. It can be used for a number of hair and beauty problems. Tea tree oil is a great natural choice for cleansing both hair and skin because it won’t cause damage or dryness. In hair, tea tree oil can be used for daily cleansing, hair growth, dry scalp, and dandruff. Additionally, tea tree oil has antiviral, antibacterial, antifungal properties to fight and prevent infection in the body.

Lavender Essential Oil

In hair, lavender oil can be used to promote growth, prevent hair loss, and control dandruff and scalp acne. Lavender oil has anti-inflammatory properties, which is a major plus for dry, itchy skin.

Faith attends Saint Louis University where she double majors in International Studies and International Business with a minor in Arabic. She loves to learn about other cultures, and how they differ from her own. Faith's passions include drinking tea, trying new foods, spending time with friends and family, volunteering and reading.