Life > Experiences

December Blues: How I Get Myself Through the Winter Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

So, daylight savings, right? There’s nothing that says seasonal depression like losing an hour of light every day. It’s no secret that this time of year can be very stressful, draining and overall, just tiring. The temperature drops, the wind picks up and snow starts to fall. In September, I enjoyed my little strolls to class. Now, some days feel like I’m trekking through Siberia. 

Unfortunately, this happens every year, and although it never gets any easier, this is what I do when the cold rolls in to help keep the cold and gloomy weather off my mind. 

Spend time with people who make me feel good

It’s easy to isolate when the temperature drops, mostly because leaving my apartment starts to be a battle I’m not always willing to face, but one of the best ways to push through the last month of the semester is to surround myself with the people who care about me. I try to switch up my usual routine: plan a few study dates, a board game night or even just grabbing dinner to give myself something to look forward to during the day. The end of the semester is hard on everyone; sometimes it’s easy to forget my friends are in the same boat. Personally, I am an extrovert, and spending time around my friends helps me not only distract myself but also recharge. 

Get outside 

The benefits of fresh air are probably not news to anyone, but it’s still good to be reminded every once in a while that getting outside is just as important in the winter as it is in the summer. It’s easy to want to hole up in the warmth of your own room, but even a quick twenty-minute walk can help clear my mind. Fresh air is almost as good as magic!

Go to class 

It’s so hard to drag myself out of bed in the mornings when I know how cold it is outside. At this point in the semester, the stress is piling up, and so is the homework. For me, it’s the season of skipping class in order to use that time to catch up on homework. It’s easy to fall into lazy patterns, especially right now when the sun is setting by 5 p.m., but it’s important to stick to the routine I already have. I tell myself this pretty much every day, immediately after I wake up and look at the weather: go to class–it will help, even if your head’s not fully there. 

Take time to relax

It feels like there are so many things piling up right now, like class registration, travel plans and end-of-semester homework. Finals are around the corner, and finals are always stressful. It’s easy to feel overwhelmed when things are genuinely getting overwhelming. I tend to pack my schedule full, and sometimes I forget how important it is to just rest. Taking time to relax and unwind is sometimes one of the best things you can do for yourself. 

Switch up my study environment 

Sometimes, going to a coffee shop, getting a latte and putting on my headphones is really just the only thing that can kick my brain back into gear. I’m not normally someone who frequents the library in order to do my homework, but spending time in Pius is never a bad idea. Don’t underestimate the power of those one-person study rooms! There are so many cute study spots to discover on campus, from B-School to McDonnell Douglas, and switching it up helps me feel more productive. Personally, one of my favorite spots to do homework is the little nook behind the stairs in the Morrissey basement. 

Giving myself grace

The biggest thing I have to remind myself of when the cold sets in and the stress starts to pile up is that it is all going to be okay in the end. Turning in an assignment late, canceling a meeting, sleeping through your alarm–none of these things are the end of the world, even though sometimes they definitely feel that way. Take time to breathe: we got this! 

Hi! I'm the senior editor of HCSLU, and a junior studying English with minors in Psychology and Communications who loves traveling, poetry, good pasta, and making the world a better place. I was born in Ukraine and currently spend my free time looking for cool hiking spots, trying new foods around Saint Louis, and going thrifting with my friends.