Riley Keough and Sam Claflin in Daisy Jones and the Six
Lacey Terrell / Prime Video

“Daisy Jones & the Six”: The Drama of ’70s Rock and Roll 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

In the world of rock and roll, rage, sex and drugs twist into a palpable longing for lust, and undeniable heart-wrenching passion. A ballad from two lost souls belting into the same microphone provides an emotional rollercoaster that makes you yearn for more. The new Amazon miniseries “Daisy Jones & The Six” plunges the viewer into the makeups, breakups and fights of seven artists as they reflect on their life as the #1 band on the charts.

Earlier this year, I read the novel form of “Daisy Jones and The Six” written by Taylor Jenkins Reid and could not put it down. It is a fantastic adult novel that intensifies the story of a successful band by exploring complex topics such as addiction, loneliness and scorned lovers. I highly recommend reading it before starting the miniseries because while it does justice to the novel, the plot varies enough to appreciate both forms. Yet, that shouldn’t stop you from listening to their number one album, “Aurora,” which is available on all streaming platforms highlighting the emotional highs and lows of love, lust and anger with catchy lyrics and well-done instrumentals.

Riley Keough in Daisy Jones and the Six
Lacey Terrell/Prime Video

Just like the novel, the show begins in the 1990s. We meet an older version of the characters as they provide their testimonials on their experience writing and preparing for a nationwide tour with soloist Daisy Jones. As they speak visually, we are shifted back into the ’70s, and slowly the narratives meld together into a vulnerable truth.   

Thus, you are soon introduced to the whimsical and insanely talented Daisy Jones. You cannot help but root for Daisy as she is a neglected young girl who wants to be wanted. However, she lives in a hazy world as she is always high on drugs and drunk from morning champagne. You also meet the band, the Dunne Brothers, made up of Billy, the leader, and Graham, Eddie and Warren. They form the original band, which expands to Karen and Camilla, Billy’s wife, to create The Six. An exciting plot point demonstrated in the show explores how the abandonment of Billy’s and Graham’s father triggers Billy’s addiction to alcohol and the internal conflict of whether he can be the father his own daughter deserves. 

*SPOILERS AHEAD*

In every episode, the viewers experience a range of emotions, from excitement, worry, disappointment and annoyance. The finale is a complicated overlapping of romantic and platonic relationships that clarifies why the band can no longer tour together. First, Daisy is angry at Billy because he always chooses Camilla over her. Camilla is angry at Daisy and Billy for a passionate kiss and obvious longingness for each other. Eddie is frustrated at Billy because he felt unappreciated in the band and annoyed that Billy has Camilla. Billy punches Eddie in the face after he learns he and Camilla had hooked up. Graham is angry at Karen for aborting their baby and saying she could never be with him. Karen is brokenhearted because she knew what she wanted, a rock star career, but she is also letting a guy who loves her go. Finally, Daisy, Billy, Eddie and Graham separately decide they would leave the band. 

Lacey Terrell/Prime Video

The best part of the show was the plot twist. The video testimonials were recorded by Billy and Camilla’s daughter Julia, who told the story of the greatest band of the ’70s demise. The subtle hint throughout the show was a favorite among watchers who read the novel. 

For a show set in the 1970s, it features a representation of powerful women who are independent and capable of depending on themselves. This parallels the rise of powerful female representation in Hollywood. I want to shout out to Camilla Dunne, one of the best characters in this show. She is a strong, independent, emotionally mature mother, wife and caretaker of the band. The band’s success can only be attributed to the passion she imbued in the band. In the finale, the band members recognize the importance of Camilla and are grateful for pushing them to their potential. 

Also, there is a moment in the show that takes a stance on an issue women in the entertainment industry face. When interviewed with the band, Daisy was asked questions about her clothes. She responds that no one asks Billy what he wears. This scene is a commentary on how intrusive interview questioning can be to women in the media. The show is unique in bringing light to life the women in media face in mainstream media. 

I highly recommend the show, the novel, and listening to “Aurora.” The show gives a fantastic insight into the dynamics of the music industry with the addition of other captivating characters. Eddie perfectly encapsulated the show by saying, “Music can dig, you know? It can take a shovel to your chest and just start digging until it hits something.”

Urvashi enjoys being a staff writer for Her Campus and states she writes articles to understand and explore the world around her. She is currently studying for a Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences. In her free time, she is jamming out to Taylor Swift, preparing for her career in medicine as a future doctor, and contemplating the next show to binge.