This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

FOMO. You’ve probably heard this term before, but if you haven’t, FOMO, or the “fear of missing out,” refers to the feeling of “anxiety that an exciting or interesting event may currently be happening elsewhere.” Although this term is relatively new, as it was adopted in 2013, experiencing FOMO is nothing new. 

At one point or another, we have all been preoccupied with the thought that somewhere, someone is having more fun, making more money or leading a better life. Comparing yourself to others is a natural feeling that everyone faces from time to time. The feeling of FOMO is definitely not a good feeling, and it often leads to checking social media again and again and again so you don’t feel out of the loop. So you know that you’re doing okay. So you don’t feel left out.

In reality, most of the time checking social media does not alleviate these feelings; it usually makes them worse. I know, I know, I sound like someone who just thinks that social media is the root of all evil and it is the sole reason for the problems with our generation. I really do think social media can be a great thing and I am an active user of Instagram, Snapchat, etc. However, when it comes to comparison, social media generates these negative feelings. You’ve heard it before: social media is a highlight reel. And it’s true! Most people stick to posting the most exciting parts of their life, which is great, but it is important to remember when you resort to scrolling through Instagram when you feel like you’re missing out. 

FOMO stems from unhappiness. If you are caught in a cycle of FOMO, there is a good chance that there is something in your life that you’re not feeling too great about. A recent study says that FOMO originates from feelings of unhappiness: “Our findings show those with low levels of satisfaction of the fundamental needs for competence, autonomy, and relatedness tend towards higher levels of fear of missing out as do those with lower levels of general mood and overall life satisfaction.” When you are truly happy with your life, you are much less likely to feel FOMO. You will be so focused on living your totally awesome life that you won’t even have time to worry about what other people are doing. 

So now that you have recognized that you are experiencing FOMO and are able to identify why, how do you get over it? 

1. Take a break from social media. 

We are wired to compare ourselves, and on a platform where everyone is just trying to look their best, feelings of FOMO can be intensified. So take a break. When I have taken breaks from social media in the past, whether it was just for a day, a week or even a month, I really noticed how much less I was comparing myself to other people and how much happier I was with my own life. 

1. Practice gratitude.

There are so many studies that suggest that gratitude is really the king of happiness. Being grateful doesn’t just make you happier, it is also correlated with an objectively better life. Practicing gratitude helps to focus on what you do have, rather than what you might be missing out on.

1. Be present.

Being present goes hand in hand with gratitude. Being grateful for the moment you are currently in, and acknowledging that you will never experience this same moment again, helps direct focus to your own experiences rather than obsessing over what other people are doing. 

If you continue to linger in the limitless cycle that FOMO creates, it will be your life that you are missing out on. The next time you start feeling anxious or jealous that all your friends are hanging out and you are taking some much needed alone time, remember that FOMO is a normal feeling that everyone experiences and you can conquer it!

Hi! I am currently a senior at Saint Louis University studying Speech Language and Hearing Sciences and Spanish! I am from the suburbs of Chicago and love spending my time reading, going to concerts, and being outside!