This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

Throughout my life, whenever I’ve felt sad or bad about my circumstances, I have always told myself that there are so many people in the world who have it so much worse than me. For some reason, I always thought this would help me feel better, but, unsurprisingly to me now, it never did. I didn’t realize how bad this train of thought was until recently, when I was talking to a friend who was going through a hard time. They were talking about how they shouldn’t feel bad for themselves or be sad at all because there are so many people who have it so much worse. Immediately after they said this, I told them that they cannot compare their pain to other people’s pain. I told them that just because other people may be suffering, that fact does not make their suffering any less real or painful. The truth of the matter is that every single person will have some hard times; that’s just a part of life. But if we ignore our feelings just because other people may have it worse, we are literally telling ourselves that what we feel is completely unimportant, which ends up making us feel worse.

As I said, I have fallen into this way of thinking quite a bit, so it was so strange to me that my response to them was so much nicer than I have ever treated myself in the same situation. I feel like this is something a lot of people tend to do. What we all need to realize is that we cannot compare our suffering to someone else’s suffering. We all have our struggles that are different from person to person, so it doesn’t even make sense to compare them to each other. What I decided I needed to start doing, and what I challenge other people to start doing as well, is to talk to myself like I would talk to a friend. If we just treat ourselves with the same kindness that we treat our best friends, then I think instead of comparing our suffering, we would just have less of it.

Hi, I'm Analisa! I'm a sophomore at SLU studying Psychology and hopefully minoring in French and Women's & Gender Studies. I love love love coffee, Audrey Hepburn, and pink. I'm new to HC SLU this year and can't wait to see how it goes!
Sarah is the Editor-in-Chief and Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Saint Louis University. She is a Junior studying English and American Studies with a primary interest in 20th-Century and Contemporary American Literature, particularly semi-autobiographical fiction and novels that celebrate diversity within the fabric of American society and culture. Sarah is originally from Minneapolis, MN (and will talk your ear off about it) and loves all things literature, intersectional feminisim, travel, food, and politics. Ask her for recommendations for exciting new novels or local restaurants, and she will gladly oblige!