This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

As a young girl, I was enamored by the idea of true love. That one person in your life who knew you more than you knew yourself—a soulmate. I grew up watching Disney movies with fairy tale endings. I listened to “Love Story” by Taylor Swift on repeat. I could not wait to be a teenager and find my true love. High school rolled around and, as I should have expected, there were not many people at my small school who were looking for the same connection. On graduation day, as I threw my cap up into the air, I set my hopes on college. I told myself, “Everyone at college will be mature and they are also looking for a long-term relationship.” Well, considering that I am writing this article, I was let down.

I am currently a second-semester sophomore and based on my experiences so far, I have little hope left. Everyone knows that relationships and dating are difficult, but I think my expectations are higher than usual. Because of the media I consumed when I was younger, I was sure I would find someone who would make me feel warm and forget all of my problems. But, no one I have met has felt like my “soulmate.” I have even questioned if I have one somewhere in the world. I expressed these worrisome feelings and desperation to my best friend, Lily, and she told me she understood. She also said something that changed everything. She told me, “Your soulmate might not be a guy, but a best friend.”

When she said this, my whole world and mindset changed. I had always expected my “soulmate” to be the person I would marry, my true love. Since I had never found my “soulmate,” I believed I would never find someone who was truly meant for me. However, Lily is the person who is meant for me. No, we are not going to get married (although we have imagined it and felt repulsed), but we are going to be together forever. I always know what she is going to say, and she always knows how I feel. Our humor is niche but the same, so most of the time people do not understand what we are crying and laughing about. I have now realized that these moments Lily and I share are special. Our relationship is one that people so desperately wish for, and our souls are truly tied. 

Whether you believe in soulmates or not, there is always going to be someone out there who is meant specifically for you. This person may be someone you are romantically involved with, a parent, a sibling or a best friend. Yes, my younger self still wants a happily ever after with a dashing prince. But, I know that I will have a fairy tale ending anyway with my best friend by my side. 

Hi! My name is Lucy Emory and I'm from Kansas City, MO! I love to sing, dance, read Harry Potter and learn random history facts. I am also a self-proclaimed Taylor Swift and Lana Del Rey enthusiast. I'm so happy to be writing for such a welcoming and empowering community!