The Lalastack Of Old Books And Glasses
The Lalastack Of Old Books And Glasses
Her Campus Media

Applying to Law School Last Minute and in the Midst of a Pandemic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

Growing up, I was always encouraged to reach my fullest potential, use my talents, and never settle. Having been in the gifted and talented program all throughout school, I felt like I always had two career paths laid out for me. I was under the impression that I had to choose between being a doctor or a lawyer in order to be successful and not put my intellect to waste. So, I took every science class my high school offered and declared my chemistry pre-med major the summer before I started undergrad. All was well, until I realized I hated college biology and struggled with math. After some soul-searching, I decided on being a theatre and communication double major, partially because there was only one required math class and partially because I knew I loved both of these disciplines. Through several evolutions, this finally resulted in a bachelor’s degree in communication with a minor in marketing three years later. 

At the end of my second year of college, I started thinking about law school, an option I had only ever considered in passing after seeing “Legally Blonde the Musical” in high school. At 16-years-old, I thought Elle Woods was inspirational. She made me want to win my first lucrative trial, live in a Barbie-pink wardrobe, and show my ex-boyfriend and everyone else what I was capable of. But I did not think law school was for me. It wasn’t until I actually sat down and took the time to learn about legal careers outside of politics that I realized, maybe it was. 

Having been on the fence about whether or not I truly wanted to pursue legal studies, I decided to take a tour of Saint Louis University School of Law in January 2020. Sitting in the 1L constitutional law class and experiencing the Socratic method firsthand, I knew this was a challenge I was up for. I was intrigued. The whole atmosphere drew me in, and I felt like this was what I was destined to do. The visit confirmed what I already knew but was scared to admit: I was nervous I was not good enough, smart enough, or dedicated enough to be a lawyer. 

Time and time again, I have found myself drawn back to the heart of my interests: creativity and the power of the human mind to constantly invent, change, and grow. With this, I knew that I wanted to pursue a career in intellectual property or corporate law to protect and inspire new ideas and those who devote their lives to making the world fuller. The world needs surgeons, chemists, lawyers, and consultants. But it also needs artists, designers, inventors, and creatives with the same guarantee of work, protection, and fulfillment. Realizing my strength is not in art, but rather my drive towards curiosity, learning, thriving, and using my voice to speak up for a better world, I knew law school was a legitimate option to consider. 

Flashforward to my current reality: getting a 175 on the LSAT sounds like a dream, studying for hours has become my reality, and I have yet to even apply thanks to COVID-19. This is nothing like “Legally Blonde” and that is okay. Choosing to apply later than most college seniors felt like a hurdle, but I did not expect a pandemic to further complicate the process. I registered to take the LSAT in March and it got cancelled. I then registered to take the LSAT in April and it also got cancelled. I am now registered to take the LSAT-Flex, an at-home, condensed version of the LSAT. Definitely not what I had planned for, but better than nothing. 

This process has taught me to always look into my interests, to trust my instincts, and be honest with myself. Writing a personal statement, gathering letters of recommendation, and taking a test to complete my applications felt overwhelming, but I am finding fulfillment in knowing that I am working towards a huge accomplishment that I am excited about and that I have chosen for myself. My advice to anyone who is unsure of what they want to do in the future: know that there are options, know that success is subjective, know that there are people there to help guide you along the way, be patient with yourself, and trust that you will do great things no matter where life takes you. I look forward to finally sending in my applications and getting to start my legal studies, even if that may not happen until COVID-19 is under control. I am trusting the process and learning in the waiting. With the chance I’ve been given, I’m going to be driven as hell. 

Lauren Kinder is a senior at Saint Louis University studying communication and marketing. She is passionate about St. Louis, social justice, storytelling, strong coffee, and singing in the car.