This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

Spending the afternoon at a thrift store is exciting for some people, but it can be daunting to many. While the secondhand clothing industry is currently on the rise, it can be difficult to understand exactly what you are getting into when you visit a vintage shop or online resale platform. If you are having doubts about whether you should try secondhand shopping, here are some of my favorite reasons to hit the thrift shop. 

1. It’s great for the environment.

This may come as a surprise, but the textile industry is the second largest polluter in the world. Between the massive amounts of energy used in factories and the transportation of materials and finished products all across the globe, the carbon footprint of a single garment is astronomical. It also takes thousands of gallons of water just to make one t-shirt. As the fashion industry has evolved to churn out thousands of cheap garments a day, our Earth is taking a toll. Purchasing secondhand items eliminates this environmental cost since we are making use of textiles already in circulation.

2. It reduces waste.

We’ve all bought that one dress for a certain event…and then decided to never wear it again. With the cycle of fast fashion in full swing, consumers are constantly purchasing and discarding clothing. According to EDGE Fashion Intelligence, individual consumers discard about 70 pounds of clothing each year, and most of this ends up in landfills. These articles of clothing are often worn only a few times before they are thrown out! When you shop secondhand, you are supporting the businesses that give a new life to otherwise landfill-bound clothing.

3. It’ll save you money.

It’s no secret that thrift stores and resale stores can have the best deals! If you want to grow your closet without breaking the budget, shopping secondhand is the way to go. The pieces you find will be cheaper than those found at a fast fashion retailer, and they don’t come with the guilt of wondering how that brand-new shirt was only four dollars. For an added bonus, check out your favorite resale store’s sale schedule–to keep inventory moving, they often mark down items that have been on the floor for a couple of weeks!

4. You can experiment with new styles.

Since secondhand clothing is less expensive than brand new items, it is so much easier to get out of your comfort zone and try some pieces that you would never purchase at full price from a retailer. Not sure how you feel about golf polos or midi skirts? Pick one up on your next thrift trip, and start styling it with pieces you already know and love. I find that some of my favorite thrifted items are the ones I was unsure about at first glance but found endless possibilities once I tried it out.

5. You’ll find one-of-a-kind pieces.

A visit to any used clothing shop is never the same experience twice. New pieces are constantly coming in and out, whether you visit a traditional thrift store or an online reseller. Some pieces may remind you of current trends, but others will be exotic, vintage or simply unique items that you’ll never find at the mall. If you love bold statement pieces, you’ll find plenty in any section of a thrift store.

6. You can find that perfectly worn-in item.

We all know that feeling of a perfectly worn t-shirt, a soft and comfy flannel, or jeans that have finally been broken in. Skip the stiff new fabric and get right into the good stuff by buying well-worn clothing from a secondhand shop. Anyway, we all know that clothes just aren’t made how they used to be. Take a look at any thrift store and you’ll find older versions of your favorite items: 100% cotton jeans, sturdy purses or a really thick knit sweater. These quality pieces have stood the test of time, and you’ll be lucky to have them!

7. It supports local businesses.

Lots of secondhand stores are run by local business people or volunteers. Shopping at these stores can support small business owners or raise money for certain charities. When buying from sellers on online resale sites, you are directly purchasing from someone like you, who is usually just trying to make a few extra bucks. It’s comforting to know exactly where your money is going, and even more so if you get to know the workers!

8. You’ll protest fast fashion.

The prevailing fast fashion industry that has capitalized on consumer culture has proven itself to be harmful to the environment and unfair for factory workers. As consumers, we vote with our money. Every dollar directed away from new, cheap clothing and towards secondhand articles forces clothing companies to rethink their practices. We’ve already seen a decline in fast fashion retailers as Millennials and Gen Zers become more conscious consumers. Let’s keep up the great progress and continue to support the secondhand industry!

Hopefully by now you’ve been convinced to give secondhand clothing a shot. It’s unrealistic to think that anyone should give up all forms of new clothing and only shop resale, but if you’re anything like me, you’ll realize that as you get deeper into the world of secondhand fashion, it becomes much more appealing than standard retail. It may take time, but you’ll come to discover the best stores around you, your favorite pieces to find used items or even the best way to resell your own clothes. So the next time you’re looking for a bit of retail therapy, skip the mall and head to the thrift shop.

A thrifting enthusiast studying Civil Engineering and Environmental Science at Saint Louis University. You can find her running, reading, cooking, and probably running again when the sun comes out.