photo of corn field
photo of corn field
Aaron Burden/Unsplash

7 Survival Tips for Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

Ah, the holiday season. Now that November is in full swing, Thanksgiving is just a few weeks away. However, as joyous as this wonderful day is, it can be a stressful time for many, especially for us college students. For many of us, coming home for Thanksgiving means family members bombarding us with the same age-old questions. “What’s your major?” “What are your plans after college?” “Are you in a relationship?” And so on and so forth, over and over until you feel like your head is going to explode. To get through this holiday without completely losing it, here are a few survival tips to help make it through.

1. Put on your best and most comfortable outfit.

For me, a good outfit is the modern day equivalent of strong armor. I always find that looking my best and wearing clothes that I feel good in makes all the difference in how I go about my day. My attitude and confidence soar when my eyeliner is perfectly winged and my dress is free of creases. This Thanksgiving, put on an outfit that will allow you to both stuff your face with mashed potatoes and take on your family members in style.

2. Steer the conversation toward more meaningful topics.

You have just as much control over the conversation as anyone else! If you’re uncomfortable talking about a specific subject, speak up or change the topic. Remember that you have the power to move the conversation in any direction you’d like.

3. Escape when you can.

If you’re feeling overwhelmed, take a step away and find a quiet place to recharge. Sit back, relax, and maybe even close your eyes for a few moments. Thanksgiving can be a stressful time, and it’s perfectly okay to take a moment to yourself and gather your thoughts.

4. Play with children or find people your own age.

If you have children in your family, take the opportunity to spend time with them. Kids are adorable, they say the funniest things, and they don’t ask you about your major every five seconds! If most of the people at your Thanksgiving dinner are older, find a few of your favorite family friends and cousins and stick with them. They know exactly what you’re going through, so you can all complain and laugh about your crazy family together.

5. Eat. Lots.

Pro-tip: you can’t answer questions when your mouth is stuffed with turkey and pumpkin pie.

6. Remind yourself how blessed you are to have food on the table and family around you.

I know it can be difficult, especially when your family is getting on your last nerves, but don’t forget to remind yourself how thankful you are. Allow yourself to take a moment, breathe, and look around at how wonderful it is to be able to celebrate Thanksgiving with family and loved ones.

7. Smile, because Christmas is right around the corner.

My favorite thing about Thanksgiving? Knowing the fact that Christmas is coming up soon and very soon. Just knowing that simple fact makes those annoying family members all the more bearable.

Angelica is a writer for Her Campus at Saint Louis University. She loves SLU more than the average person probably does. Currently she is working on getting her BSW in Social Work, but she loves to write and design on the side. She is a big fan of Christmas, social justice, and gift giving. Can be found drinking an iced chai latte while running late to class. As always.