6 Makeup Tips Everyone Should Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

Buyiing makeup can be challenging- read these tips to get the most out of it!

1. Don’t be Afraid to Utilize Drugstore Makeup.

This one especially applies for beginners. Although we see high-end brands advertised more, do not be afraid to go to your local drugstore for certain items. You can find very good foundations, eyeliners, concealers, lashes, and lip products at these stores. Most stores also allow you to return makeup that doesn’t work for you or match your skin tone, so don’t be discouraged by not being able to try things, such as foundations and concealers, in store!

2. Know When to Splurge.

Drugstore Makeup definitely has some gems, but there are certain products that you might need to put in the extra bucks for. For example, if you are into eyeshadow, it is much better to invest in high end shadows as they tend to be of better quality. If you wear lashes a lot, consider investing in mink lashes so you can reuse the pair more than once or twice.

3. Always! Always! Wash your Makeup Off.

Do not sleep in your makeup! I know washing your face may seem like a grueling task at times, but your skin will love you more if you remove the makeup at the end of the night.

4. Use Primers and Setting Sprays.

You never know what your day make bring. There can be heat, sweat, tears, wind, and more incorporated in your day. If you want your makeup to stick, primers and setting sprays do the trick. They can make your makeup lasts way longer and save you time on touching it up.

5. Get the Most Pigment Out of Your Products.

Whether it’s eyeshadows, highlighters, or blushes, sometimes products don’t apply with as much pigment as you expect. In order to add more pigment, try wetting your brush or applicator with water or setting spray before applying the products. The moisture usually brings out the pigment.

6. Be Wary When Filling in Brows.

Some of the worst makeup faux pas come in the form of eyebrows. Be sure to buy a brow pencil or pomade that matches your hair color. Avoid black pencils or pomades unless your hair is super dark. Dark brown is usually the best color for darker hair colors. Don’t fill in the front of your brows. You should drag product from the back of your brows instead to create a light transition.

Sophomore student at Saint Louis University writing for HerCampus while studying God-knows-what (undecided). A Fashion Forward Artist, Makeup Maven, Heroine of Hair, Beyonce Lover, Social Activist, and Capri-sun Connoisseur.
Founder and former Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus chapter at Saint Louis University. Graduating in May 2020 with degrees in Public Health and Women's and Gender Studies. Committed to learning about and spreading awareness for a more self-aware public health field, intersectional feminism, and college radio. Retweet this bio and enter a drawing for a free smartphone!