6 Important Friendships to Maintain in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

No matter what stage of life you are in, it is beneficial for your well-being to surround yourself with people who will support you and help you through your challenges. This is especially true for your college years, which can seem like a whirlwind of lifestyle changes, new acquaintances and different surroundings. Here are six types of friends—new and old—to keep close by your side during your college years: 

1. The “just like me” friend 

This friend is the person you feel the most relieved to meet at your new school—they have similar values, opinions and priorities, and you feel glad to have someone to walk into new places with. These kinds of people are great to be around because they can help you feel comforted. They won’t push you to do things you don’t want to do because they don’t want to do them either! 

2. The “nothing like me” friend

Although it’s great to have friends who reflect your personality, finding yourself in an “opposites attract” situation can be helpful as well. If you’re introverted, an extroverted friend can introduce you to more people or convince you to go to an event that winds up being a blast. Becoming friends with someone who seems to have little in common with you can help you let go of the idea that you have to be friends with the same type of people. 

3. The “good ol’ hometown” friend 

This type of friend is a reliable buddy who may not keep in contact with you all the time, but you’re sure they’d love to catch up when you both go home for a break. They can be a great person to talk to about struggles you have at school because they’ll be impartial; they won’t know your college self, only who you were before you left home. Whether you’ve drastically changed or stayed the same as you always were, it’s nice to have a friend in the place you’re from. 

4. The “comparable comedy” friend 

This is one of the best types of people—they know how to make you laugh so deeply that it’s satisfying. This person is important to keep close to you because feeling understood on a comedic level can help you feel more sure of yourself and confident in your own personality. Getting together with someone whose sense of humor is so similar to yours can be a stabilizing confirmation that you are funny and likable, especially when you feel like the opposite. 

5. The “deviated path” friend 

As aforementioned, it’s great to be close to people who are a reflection of yourself. You may have some friends who are so much like you that you seem to be on the same life path. As you grow older and things change, a fork in the shared road can cause you to let some of these friendships fade. It’s nice to try to cross paths with this type of person when you’re able because it can help put your choices and their effects into perspective. If you hadn’t done something differently than them, what would your life look like? 

6. The “smidge away from a sibling” friend 

This friend is the person who is like an additional member of your immediate family. They may even be related to you. You’ve been around them since childhood, and you know most of what they’ve been through in life. No matter where they go, you’ll always make it a priority to know what they’re up to. This person is important to keep up with because they will understand you and want you to succeed. They’re important to you and you know that your bond will last a lifetime. 

Though nurturing and maintaining friendships can be strenuous at times, the results of your effort will help you establish what qualities you most value in others, thereby helping you exhibit those traits yourself. Remember to check up on your friends and let them know just how important they are in your life! 

Anna Baugher is a communication student with a focus in journalism and media studies at Saint Louis University. She is a big fan of hiking in the woods, listening to Taylor Swift, and having late night talks with friends. She loves writing and has thoroughly enjoyed creating a collection of Her Campus articles.