danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Reasons to Talk to Your Professors

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

1. They are professors for a reason.

They are experts in their field, so they know their stuff. If they teach something you are interested in, talk to them about it! College is the time to learn as much as you can from the people around you.

2. Use them to network.

It never hurts to make connections with people. Make relationships with as many different people as possible because you never know where you’ll end up. It won’t hurt to get to know as many people as you can!

3. Look into if they are conducting research in your field of interest. You may be able to join!

If they are conducting research, ask them if they have opportunities to be a research assistant. Experience like that is invaluable and will allow you to learn things that you would never be able to learn in the classroom.

4. Practice your communication skills.

It’s vital to know how to talk to people, especially when it comes to communicating professionally. Practice these skills on the people who are there to help you.

5. You won’t get anything you don’t ask for.

From my experience, going up to a professor and trying to make a connection for the first time never gets any easier. But the truth is, if you don’t ask for what you want, someone else probably will. Take a deep breath and push yourself! The more practice you get, the better you will be when it really counts.

Breakfast sandwich enthusiast, dog lover, and writer for Her Campus at Saint Louis University.