This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

Now that I’m a junior in college, I have often found myself noticing ways that my current lifestyle and outlook on life have changed from my high school self. Growing up includes learning a lot about the world and myself. Figuring out why things work a certain way helps me understand what to do in my day-to-day life to keep myself on track. 

Like many teenage girls, I had a complicated relationship with my mom in high school. I often did not understand her rationale for what she did and went against her advice. Now that I am an adult and am finding my own way in life, I catch myself going back to the very habits I would bicker with my mom about just a few years ago.

All of these habits have changed my life for the better and I’m glad I incorporated them into my routines. If I could give adulting lessons to myself three years ago when I was about to graduate high school, this is advice I would want to give her. 

1. Eat breakfast in the morning 

One of the good habits my mother was the most passionate about was making sure I always ate breakfast in the mornings before school, no matter what. She emphasized the importance of providing nutrients and sustenance for my body and how crucial it is not to skip the first meal of the day. 

My mom’s favorite breakfast options include oatmeal, hard-boiled eggs and plain yogurt. I’ll be honest, those options are still a little too healthy for my liking. With my sweet tooth and college student lifestyle, my favorites include granola bars, breakfast bagels and applesauce pouches. Breakfast foods can be adaptable to suit personal tastes and lifestyles, just like any other meal. 

1. Dress warmly in the winter 

Wrapping up in cozy layers is a habit my mom instilled in me that I’ve come to appreciate more than ever during my college years. Growing up, I often resisted bundling up, dismissing it as an unnecessary fuss. For some reason, I considered it uncool to wear proper weather attire and preferred to shiver rather than embarrass myself by donning a hat or scarf. I would rather freeze in the winter months than spend extra time at my locker putting on my coat and would refuse to wear boots rather than sneakers even when there were multiple inches of snow on the ground. However, I spend a lot more time outside in the winter now, and those chilly, windy walks to class made me quickly recognize the practicality of her advice.

My mom’s insistence on proper winter attire, from a cozy hat to insulated boots, has not only shielded me from the biting cold but also prevented the inevitable winter-related illnesses. I have met friends in college who have never owned hats or proper winter coats, and I am grateful that my mom stocked me up with an abundance of different colored and textured coats, hats and other cold-weather accessories. As I navigate the Midwest’s snowy sidewalks and chilly commutes, I’m grateful for the warmth she encouraged me to embrace. It’s a simple yet effective practice that not only keeps me comfortable during the winter months but also reflects the enduring wisdom of my mom’s guidance.

1. Put your phone down and unplug

Putting my phone down before bed is a habit I’ve come to realize is a game-changer for a restful night’s sleep, and it’s one of those pieces of advice from my mom that I used to dismiss. In high school, scrolling through social media or watching videos late into the night seemed like a harmless way to unwind. However, as the demands of college life increased, so did the importance of quality sleep.

Unplugging throughout the day has become a crucial habit for maintaining my well-being, thanks largely to the wisdom my mom imparted. While in high school, the constant allure of screens seemed unavoidable, and the idea of taking breaks from my phone felt unnecessary. I have realized how easily distracted I can be, and my mom’s advice to step away from screens has become more relevant than ever. Whether it’s during study sessions, meal times or moments of leisure, intentionally unplugging has become a refreshing practice. It allows me to recharge my mind, appreciate the present moment and maintain a healthy balance between the digital and real world.

1. Avoid procrastination

Another life habit my mom was right about that has become increasingly apparent during my college years is the importance of avoiding procrastination. I have ADHD, and procrastination is something I’ve struggled a lot with. In high school, I often left assignments and studying until the last minute, thinking I could handle the pressure. However, as the workload in college intensified, I quickly realized the significance of time management.

My mom always stressed the value of staying ahead of tasks and not letting deadlines loom overhead. She encouraged me to break down larger assignments into smaller, manageable tasks and tackle them gradually. This approach not only reduced stress but also allowed me to produce higher-quality work. Now, as a college junior, I’ve adopted her wisdom and find myself planning ahead, setting realistic goals and avoiding the rush that comes with procrastination.

As I reflect on the life habits my mom was right about, it’s clear that these seemingly small practices have had a profound impact on my college experience and overall well-being. The transition from high school to college has shown me how important these habits are. Now, instead of being annoyed at my mom when she suggested I wear a hat since the weather was below freezing outside, I proudly sent her pictures of me pulling my winter coat out in early November.

From the simple act of eating breakfast to the essential practice of dressing warmly in winter, my mom’s wisdom has provided me with a foundation for a healthier and more balanced life. As I navigate the challenges of college life, these habits have become more than just maternal guidance—they’ve become my own tools for success. The practices I once bickered about during my teenage years have evolved into pillars of my identity as a college junior. I’m grateful for the lessons learned, and if I could turn back time to share these insights with my high school self, I would emphasize the transformative power of these habits.

Hi! I'm the senior editor of HCSLU, and a junior studying English with minors in Psychology and Communications who loves traveling, poetry, good pasta, and making the world a better place. I was born in Ukraine and currently spend my free time looking for cool hiking spots, trying new foods around Saint Louis, and going thrifting with my friends.