4 Reality TV Shows that I Live Off Of

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

When people think of reality TV shows, the first words that come to mind are most likely “scripted,” “fake” or “unbelievable.” On the surface, reality shows are all of these things—but when you look a little closer, reality TV shows have a lot more to them. I started getting into reality shows when I put this perception away and realized the true beauty of them. Reality TV shows are basically comedies that can always bring a smile to your face. Now, I hate to say laughing at other people’s arguments or problems is funny, but it is. Over the years of finding my love for reality TV shows, there are a few that I will always love, and I can watch for the rest of my life and never get bored of.

1. The Bachelor” and “The Bachelorette

While this show can have seasons that are hit or miss, I will always watch it. This show always has the classic fights of people being on the show for only screen time and fame (even though literally all of them signed up to be on a TV show) or people not getting enough time with that season’s Bachelor or Bachelorette. This show also does a great job of blowing every single little thing out of proportion, which offers further enjoyment. My favorite thing about this show would have to be its ability to create the most hated TV villains every season (this is directed at Luke P. from Hannah Brown’s season). Overall, this show is amazing and will keep you laughing every week for two hours.

1. Keeping up with the Kardashians

This is a classic and I think this show should be a core component of everyone’s life. This show is possibly the greatest contribution to society that the Kardashian-Jenner family has made. This show makes everyone think, “Wow, even if I had all the money in the world, I’ll probably either get divorced, cheated on or both.” This shows portrays true sibling rivalry, like when Kourtney and Kim fight over what candy to have at a birthday party. This question also raises some very important questions like,  “Who in the world let 16-year-old Kylie date 21-year-old Tyga?”—because I’m pretty sure that’s illegal. Overall, this is one of the best ideas that momager Kris Jenner could have ever had.

1. Too Hot To Handle

This show is so stupid but so entertaining. The basic premise of this show is that 10 singles—who have serious commitment issues when it comes to relationships—are put on an island together for what they think is going to be a four-week “sexcation.” Seeing several full-grown adults who don’t have basic self-control is one of the funniest things I have seen in my life. There’s not much to say about this one because absolutely nothing happens but it’s still funny.

1. Selling Sunset

This show is the best thing I have ever seen. In this show, you get to explore the lives of real estate agents in Los Angeles who fight over clients and properties. “Selling Sunset” also showcases the personal drama at The Oppenheim Group. When you first watch this show, you might be a little bit frustrated because everyone in this show looks the same. Once you get past that, this show is absolute perfection. There is always some drama going on to keep you engaged. Overall, I’d say this is my favorite reality TV show on the planet.

I’m sure some people will still be skeptical about watching reality TV shows—but from my experience, if you don’t take them seriously they can be the funniest things you’ve ever seen.

Writer at Her Campus at Saint Louis University. Biggest goal in life is to be the real-life version of Christina Yang.