friends road trip california fall break windows down music
Molly Peach / Her Campus

35 Songs You Need to Add to Your Summer Playlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

The weather is starting to get warmer here in St. Louis, which means summer is going to be here before we know it. In preparation for the warm days and clear skies ahead, I have been spending my time crafting the ultimate playlist for this season. Whether you’re going to the beach, road-tripping with your friends or enjoying a late night drive with your partner, having the perfect background music playing is essential for your summer experience. 

So, I thought I would share 35 of my favorite summer songs that are a guaranteed, instant serotonin boost. You can find all of them listed below, categorized into my own specific genres to meet all of your different vibes this season. 

The Classics 

We’re starting things off right with all of the classics. It doesn’t matter how old these songs are, they will always be essential to the summer experience. 

1. “Here Comes The Sun” – The Beatles 
  2. “The Middle” – Jimmy Eat World 
  3. “Mamma Mia” – ABBA
  4. “Come On Eileen” – Dexys Midnight Runners, Kevin Rowland
  5. “Mr. Blue Sky” – Electric Light Orchestra 

Middle School Dance

The late 2000s to early 2010s – a.k.a, the best era of music during our lifetime. Part of me wishes I was in college during this time just so I could hear these songs being played in the clubs, but I’ll settle for dancing to them at my eighth grade dance. 

1. “Party In The U.S.A.” – Miley Cyrus 
  2. “Classic” – MKTO
  3. “Mr. Brightside” – The Killers 
  4. “Girlfriend” – Avril Lavigne 
  5. “Everybody Talks” – Neon Trees
  6. “Umbrella” – Rihanna, JAY-Z

Windows Down, Nighttime Drive, Speeding Down the Highway 

You know the vibes. This is your main character moment. Live out your own “Perks of Being a Wallflower” fantasy and blast these songs through your car speakers while you stand out the open sunroof, looking for a tunnel to speed through. 

1. “Little League” – Conan Gray
  2. “Someone To You” – BANNERS
  3. “Midnight City” – M83 
  4. “The King” – Sarah Kinsley 
  5. “Tongue Tied” – Grouplove 
  6. “Electric Love” – BØRNS

Boys Suck

It’s not a “hot girl summer” if we don’t include songs bashing guys and all the stupid things they do. When boys fail, I know Megan, Doja and Olivia will have my back. 

1. “good 4 u” – Olivia Rodrigo 
  2. “10 Things I Hate About You” – Leah Kate
  3. “Hot Girl” – Megan Thee Stallion 
  4. “You Right” – Doja Cat, The Weeknd 
  5. “plot line” – emlyn 

I Will Never Grow Tired of These

These songs are closer to my personal music taste and are in constant rotation throughout the whole year. It doesn’t matter how many times I listen to them, I will never get tired of singing along and I can’t imagine not playing them this summer. 

1. “Kiss Her You Fool” – Kids That Fly
  2. “What You Do To Me” – Blanks
  3. “Preacher Man” – THE DRIVER ERA
  4. “Puppy Dog” – Dreamer Boy
  5. “Golden” – Harry Styles
  6. “Honeypie” – JAWNY

And our final category… 

Taylor Swift 

I think it’s safe to say that most, if not all, of us here at Her Campus SLU are certified Swifties, so I had to dedicate a section to the queen herself. Taylor has songs to fit every mood, but there’s just something about summer anthems that she gets right every time. 

1. “Paper Rings”
  2. “Love Story (Taylor’s Version)”
  3. “Our Song” 
  4. “The Story of Us”
  5. “Cruel Summer” 
  6. “The Very First Night (Taylor’s Version) (From The Vault)”
  7. “Style” (bonus points if you Harry Styles dance during the chorus. Just trust me.) 

There are so many more songs I could’ve added to this list, but hopefully you’ve found at least one to add to your playlist this year. Now go forth, and perfect your playlist in time for the summer days ahead.

A psychology major who loves dogs, Disney movies, and making Spotify playlists that no one listens to.