3 Things that People Without a Mental Illness Don’t Understand

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

Not only are there tests, papers, quizzes and jobs to deal with in college, you also have to deal with panic attacks, shifting mood swings, and depressed thoughts that make things a lot harder. Additionally, you often have to explain everything to your friends and professors, which is hard as well. It’s hard to explain why you can’t get out of bed to go to class or when you have to keep canceling plans that you made with someone when you weren’t feeling depressed. 

1. Yoga and running doesn’t necessarily make it better.

Although these things are great to help endorphins flowing, you cannot cure mental illness by just doing these things. A person has to want to do these things, and if they are dealing with having trouble getting out of bed, a run will not make them feel better. .

2. We aren’t just lazy.

3. Believe me, sometimes if I could just get out of bed I would. I am not just being ‘lazy’, I literally cannot physically get out of bed. 

4. We know there isn’t just a happy pill to make us feel better. 

Although medicine can help get neurotransmitters back in the right order, people with mental illness understand that just medicine won’t fix everything. We know that therapy helps and a multitude of other things in order to get everything back on track.

Junior at Saint Louis University studying social work & political science