20 Wanderlust-Invoking Songs For Any Restless Traveler

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

I’ve been spending the past semester traveling through Europe (and Africa), which means lots of pretty Instagram photos and more inspiration than I could possibly compact into one article. 

What my feed doesn’t show is how much time I spend on buses, trains, planes, and even ferries (hint: it’s way too much time). 

I keep myself busy and keep the travel-high going with this playlist. These songs never fail to pump me up for my next adventure, and even when I’m home, they bring the ocean and the mountains and the thrill right into my room. 

So here they are: the top 20 songs for a jet-setting junkie (like me).

1. “Arizona” // Frances Cone

“Is it in your skin, is it in your bones?” 

This is a calming song with splashes of bass to keep you awake. Play this one right as the plane takes off for guaranteed goosebumps. 

2. “Away We Go” // Bad Suns

“Away we go, we don’t have forever”

This song is so fun and reminds me of how fleeting time is. It always makes my heart do a flip as I head out the door for the bus station!

3. “Black Water” // Of Monsters and Men

“In the deepest depths, I lost myself. See myself through someone else.”

Any OMAM song is going to put you in that traveling mood, but I like to listen to this one as I journal about my experiences at the end of a trip. It discusses how we can find ourselves in the most unexpected cultures: very contemplative and very, very smart.

4. “Breakaway” // Kelly Clarkson

“Out of the darkness and into the sun, but I won’t forget the place I come from.”

My study-abroad anthem! This one reminds me that it’s okay to leave something or someone behind to chase your heart. It’s all part of growing up, and the sacrifices will be well worth it.

5. “Coastline” // Hollow Coves

“I’m leaving home for the coastline, some place under the sun.”

Simple and breathable, Hollow Coves once again awakens a nostalgia in me for someplace I haven’t yet been. So beyond beautiful. So beyond serene. 

6. “Follow My Feet” // The Unlikely Candidates 

“And the high road’s steady and steep, and the long road’s easy and deep… guess I’ll follow my feet.”

Lyrics about the road less traveled, with a toe-tapping beat that spins it all on its side. 

7. “How Far I’ll Go” // Ginnie

“If I go, there’s just no telling how far I’ll go.”

An acoustic cover of Moana’s exploratory ballad. This one always makes me tear up as I stand and watch the waves at sunset. 

8. “It’s Time” // Imagine Dragons

“Packing my bags and giving the academy a rain check.”

An oldie, but a goodie, this is a song that grows up with you. It’s a great reminder that we can change WHERE we are without changing WHO we are. And in the process, we might just gain a deeper understanding of who we were in the first place. 

9. “Laura Palmer” // Bastille 

“Cutting out a different path, led by your beating heart.”

I love how this song makes me feel like I’m a runaway on some rugged, dangerous adventure, even though everyone knows where I am and my location is shared with the whole fam. It’s fun to pretend. 

10. “The Nights” // Avicii

“One day, you’ll leave this world behind. So live a life you will remember.”

My favorite song on this playlist. PERIOD. 

11. “One of These Days” // Vance Joy

“Wherever you go, you’ll be in the right place.”

Such a reassuring song about feeling content when you’re far from what’s familiar. Vance Joy has a soothing voice that makes me feel like I’m home, even when I’m oceans away from it. 

12. “Perfect Places” // Lorde

“Let’s go to perfect places.”

Yes, it is a song about drugs. But pretend. Pretend that it’s actually about Ibiza and not just the pill. And it works. It just does. 

13. “Pioneer” // The Band Perry 

“Your mother is adventure and your father is the wild.”

There are so many perfect lyrics in this one that I had trouble pulling just one out. I guarantee that this song could make a world traveler out of any homebody after just one listen. 

14. “The Runaway” // Tall Heights

“In the motorcade, I’m a runaway. And I’ll never change…”

Something like a birdsong, something like a breeze. This song makes me feel like I have my toes dipped in a babbling brook and puts the wind right into my hair. Oh, and the words about chasing freedom aren’t half bad, either. 

15. “Stockholm” // Judah and the Lion

“I don’t know if I’ll ever make it home.”

Falling in love with a place is the best feeling in the world. Judah captures it perfectly, so you can save it for a rainy hometown day. 

16. “Take Me Home, Country Roads” // John Denver

“To the place I belong.”

Is it a song about going home? Yes. Is it still the best road trip song ever written? Yes. Period. 

17. “Try Everything” // Shakira

“No, I won’t leave, I wanna try everything.”

Such a happy little tune about overcoming obstacles to find fulfillment and adventure. 

18. “Vagabond” // Misterwives

“Where to fly? Who knows!”

This track is a little deeper. It talks about the constant search for self in places where you ultimately can’t find it, and the loneliness that can accompany you when you don’t have permanent roots planted. This one spoke to my free spirit and reminded me that it’s okay to have everything and still feel like you’re missing something.

19. “We Come Running” // Youngblood Hawke 

“Never go where we belong, echoes in the dead of dawn.”

An upbeat melody and an ever-changing rhythm captures the essence of being young and reckless. This one is timeless. 

20. “13 Beaches” // Lana del Rey

“Underneath the pines with the daisies.”

Much more solemn than the rest of these tracks, Lana acknowledges the confusion of always moving, as well as the introspection that comes along with it. Don’t listen to this to get the adrenaline flowing. Listen to it to know that you aren’t the only one who doesn’t belong anywhere you go. And maybe, not belonging is okay.

Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus at Saint Louis University. Firm believer in the redemptive power of a single story.
Amasil is the President for SLU's Her Campus Chapter. She is a Biology major at Saint Louis University. Amasil enjoys writing poetry about the thoughts and concerns she has in her head, they are therapeutic in a way. Amasil loves goats, eating twice her weight in chocolate, and baking french macarons.