10 Pantry Essentials for Students on a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

Nut Butter

Peanut/almond/cashew butter is a must IMO. It’s super versatile: from a classic PB and J, to a dollop of extra protein in your oatmeal, or just by itself on a spoon! It’s definitely something I have to have around at all times.

Frozen Foods

An actual life saver! Frozen foods and meals can be controversial for the diet-conscious because of freshness/quality and possible preservatives, but trust me, there are good ones out there (specifically at Trader Joe’s!). Look for ones with minimal ingredients and the fewest additives. I always reach for a frozen meal like vegetable fried rice, risotto, frozen veggies, and frozen chicken when I am in a hurry. Trader Joe’s has a plethora of frozen goodies for awesome prices, so I definitely recommend checking it out.

Canned Vegetables

Canned foods are also a must for a few reasons. They don’t perish, are versatile, and can give you just as many nutrients as fresh foods can! I always keep around canned beans/peas/corn/etc. to add into fried rice or whatever else I decide to throw together. Another bonus is that you can get some cans for less than $1, so that is definitely something I’d imagine appeals to a college student.

Pasta

Pasta. ‘Nuff said.

Bananas

I use bananas for EVERYTHING! I add them to fruit smoothies, oatmeal, banana bread (when I’m up for making it). I eat them plain, or I can make a peanut butter and banana sandwich. Bananas are super cheap and very filling, so they’re definitely a favorite of mine!

Oatmeal

Oatmeal is definitely my go-to breakfast food. It’s cheap to buy a big can of plain oats, and buying your oats plain will give you some freedom and variety as far as what you decide to add to it! My favorite way to make oatmeal is with unsweetened almond milk, a few drops of pure stevia, a sliced banana, and either a tablespoon of peanut butter or a dash of cinnamon. It’s quick, cheap, and delicious!

Eggs

Eggs are very affordable and are a great protein source. There are lots of ways to make eggs, so you can avoid the boredom of eating them the same way every time. I love to put a fried egg on top of avocado toast, or boil them and eat them on the go. Definitely another staple of mine!

Rice

I love rice for a number of reasons: It’s cheap, it can be a side to almost any meal, and it keeps me full and satisfied for a long time. Rice dishes are definitely my go-to when I have absolutely zero idea what to have for dinner. White rice tastes refreshing and delicious lightly salted on its own, or it can be turned into a colorful and flavorful stir fry with veggies, spices, and sauce.

Potatoes

Potatoes are also a go-to for me. I prefer sweet potatoes over regular potatoes, but you can create lots of dishes with either type. My favorite way to make sweet potatoes is as follows: cut the potato into bite-sized cubes, coat with a layer of coconut oil, sprinkle on a generous amount of cinnamon and a pinch of sugar, and bake at 425 for about 20-25 minutes! Affordable, nutritious, and delicious!

Avocados

Avocados may be considered a luxury item, but my grocery runs are not complete without them! I eat avocados about every other day: avocado toast, guac and chips, or honestly just plain. They’re a great way to get healthy fats into your diet,and you can get pretty creative with them.

My name is Monica, and I am a sophomore at SLU studying nutrition and dietetics! I love my dogs and love traveling. So excited to be a part of HC!! <3
Sarah is the Editor-in-Chief and Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Saint Louis University. She is a Junior studying English and American Studies with a primary interest in 20th-Century and Contemporary American Literature, particularly semi-autobiographical fiction and novels that celebrate diversity within the fabric of American society and culture. Sarah is originally from Minneapolis, MN (and will talk your ear off about it) and loves all things literature, intersectional feminisim, travel, food, and politics. Ask her for recommendations for exciting new novels or local restaurants, and she will gladly oblige!