Writing Playlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

As I write this, I am undertaking the biggest academic writing endavor of my life-my senior capstone. At 25 pages, this is the longest and most demanding piece of academic work I’ve ever produced, and I’m kind of sort of dying a little bit. It’s all cool.

Music is essential to me when I’m writing, because I can’t get anything done in silence. The catch-22 here is, of course, that the music has to be engaging enough to encourage me, but not distracting. Seeing as I’ve been doing this all semester, I think I’ve compiled a pretty decent playlist, and, seeing as it’s finals, I thought I’d share. 

From me to you, here are my top ten songs for buckling down and banging out those pages.

1. Don’t Panic – Ellie Goulding (honestly anything Ellie Goulding is AMAZING to write to, and I’ve had her on repeat lately) 
  2. Breakdown – Jack Johnson 
  3. Coppertone – The Academy Is…
  4. Around the World and Back – State Champs
  5. Take Cover – All Time Low
  6. Cold Coffee – Ed Sheeran (Like Ellie… anything Ed Sheeran does is great to get work done to)
  7. Could You Be the One – Stereophonics 
  8. Fast Car – Tracy Chapman
  9. Heartbeats – Jose Gonzalez
  10. Youth – Daughter

Happy Writing!

Gwen is a senior, English major, and co-CC of Her Campus Skidmore. She spends a lot of time watching Pretty Little Liars and Fixer Upper, listening to music, staring at her comptuer screen and wishing words would come easier, and waiting for the New York Islanders to win another Stanley Cup (preferably at the Coli). Also, she really likes cheese and is trying to learn to skateboard. It's not going very well.