Winter Recipes to Fight the Blues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

After all the holiday-hype that comes with December and January has passed, college students are left with one-and-a-half more months of bitter, thankless cold weather and few festivities to go with it. To try to combat the long winter blues, we’ve thrown together some delicious recipes to warm you up and celebrate seasonal foods. Most of these recipes are simple and quick, and the more labor-intensive ones are well worth the extra effort!

Spiced Oat and Pear Blondies

This upscale version of our beloved brownies is perfect for the snowy season! Can we get some warm apple cider please?

Winter Pasta Salad with Chicken, Mushrooms, and Radicchio

A hearty pasta dish is perfect to fill and warm you up during winter. We love this unique twist on a pasta salad!

Warm Breakfast Crepes

Anything that sends us to France for breakfast is a win. While the recipe recommends topping your crepes with sugar or apricot jelly, we strongly believe in the warming powers of Nutella.

Winter Squash Risotto

Squash is a great winter fruit to add to your weekly shopping list, and the risotto satisfies that need for creamy comfort food!

Chocolate Layer Cake

This recipe speaks for itself.

Chicken and Pepper Jack Sandwich

Sometimes, you need a little heat in the middle of winter, which is why we love this sandwich for a winter pick-me-up.

Wild Rice Soup

Between the bacon, carrots, mushrooms and sherry, we’re already hooked on this filling soup!

Winter always tends to drain your energy, which is why we love these delicious and (sometimes) nutritious recipes. Take your study break to the kitchen and try out some of these to-die-for treats before all the snow melts. Bon Appetite, collegiettes! 

Audrey is a class of 2013 English major at Skidmore College. She has held several communications internships in her hometown of Nashville, TN, including ones at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, the Tennessee Center for Policy Research, Nissan's North American Headquarters, and at Katcher Vaughn and Bailey Public Relations. In her free time, she loves to bake for family and friends, exercise by swimming, and loves all things Parisian. Audrey can't wait to continue her journalism experience with Her Campus as a campus correspondent. Having lived in Nashville, France and New York, Audrey has found a love for travel, and hopes to discover a new city after Skidmore where she plans to continue onto law school.