Why You Should Rally for Aaron Carter on Fun Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

You already know him as the pint-sized mastermind behind classics like “Aaron’s Party (Come Get It)” and “I Want Candy” (which technically wasn’t his own song, but oh well). Come Apr. 27, however, you’ll know him as someone entirely different: the fallen star who rocked you out of your Fun Day stupor at Putnam Den.

It’s hard to believe that the guy who started the Hilary Duff/Lindsay Lohan feud of yesteryear is actually only 25 years old, and even harder to believe that we can soon find him in our own Putnam Den, of all places. He may not be hot on the music scene right now – he might not even be on the music scene at all right now – but Aaron is still worthy of our attention that Saturday night. Why? Because it will be hilarious, obviously. But also because there’s a lot in it for you:

You’re not a Fun Day champion unless you rally

You can frolic and make mischief all day long, scamper around in neon tube tops and body paint, and even start your own dance party on the gazebo and promptly be shooed away by campo on horseback. You can do all of this, but if you fall asleep at 6 p.m. and don’t rally to make it downtown afterwards, you aren’t a true Fun Day champion. When you look back on your college years and begin your storytelling, you’ll find yourself sadly lacking.

Eat some food, drink some water, and rest up, because this is the year that you will forgo the pillows and Advil for a night on the town, brought to you by Aaron Carter himself. Your reputation is at stake, and you’ll kick yourself in the morning when you see those photos of your friends cozying up to Nick Carter’s lil bro, anyway, so just be there. Honestly, YOLO.

You might even like the show

We aren’t making any guarantees here. Last we heard, Aaron was gracing the stage for The Fantasticks, so we can’t be sure whether we’ll be serenaded with pop ballads from Y2K, show tunes, or something different entirely (fresh love songs, perhaps?). According to Putnam Den, Aaron is the youngest male solo artist ever to have four Top 40 singles, so we should have a little faith that the guy knows how to put on a show.

[pagebreak]

Even if you don’t like the show, you’ll fulfill your preteen dreams

If you ever saw the Lizzie McGuire Christmas episode in which Lizzie gets to star in Aaron’s “I Want Candy” music video, you’ll understand us when we say that being within 30 feet of Aaron Carter has long been our dream. Sure, the fiery passion that propelled us to this goal has dwindled over the years, but now we finally have the chance to do our preteen selves a favor and realize that dream.

Granted, it’s not how we imagined it. We had pictured encountering our favorite Radio Disney star in a slightly rosier environment – and while we looked slightly less like hot messes and his frosted tips were still icy white – but beggars can’t be choosers. Aaron Carter fans can’t ever stop being Aaron Carter fans, no matter how adamantly they try to deny it.

He mingles with the little people

Following his March performance at the College of William and Mary, we collegiettes have learned two things:

• Aaron is not afraid or ashamed of performing his teeny-bop hits, which should make for an epic sing-a-long of a night.
  • Aaron likes to hang out at the bar with his hood up before and after his performances, and therefore is easily accessible for a photo, an autographed T-shirt, or a deep conversation about the broken world of Young Hollywood and/or Lizzie McGuire’s kissing abilities.

In short, if you don’t fork over $50 for the backstage meet-and-greet that Putnam Den has so kindly offered us, don’t fret; you may have your moment with Aaron yet. Bonus points to anyone who convinces him to make an appearance at Mine!

He’s very excited to meet us

Thanks to Aaron’s choicest tweets, #aaroncarterhornylevel has trended hugely on Twitter. We’ll let you provide your own commentary on this phenomenon.

With any luck, your night might look a lot like this!

Fun Day is only a day. The combined day and night of Apr. 27 will be an experience. Don’t sleep it away!

Kate is the Associate Editor of Her Campus. Before joining the staff full-time, Kate was the Campus Correspondent for the HC Skidmore College chapter as well as an editorial intern, Love editor, and national contributing writer for HC. In addition to her work with Her Campus, Kate has been a Sex & Love stringer and digital editorial intern for WomensHealthMag.com and an Inner Circle Trendspotter for MTV. Kate graduated from Skidmore College summa cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa with a Bachelor of Arts in English and French. In her spare time, Kate is usually spotted writing fiction, playing tennis, reading pop culture blogs until her eyes hurt, baking cookies, or dreaming up her next travel adventure.
Audrey is a class of 2013 English major at Skidmore College. She has held several communications internships in her hometown of Nashville, TN, including ones at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, the Tennessee Center for Policy Research, Nissan's North American Headquarters, and at Katcher Vaughn and Bailey Public Relations. In her free time, she loves to bake for family and friends, exercise by swimming, and loves all things Parisian. Audrey can't wait to continue her journalism experience with Her Campus as a campus correspondent. Having lived in Nashville, France and New York, Audrey has found a love for travel, and hopes to discover a new city after Skidmore where she plans to continue onto law school.