This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

~Two summers ago~

“Can you get me a bagel with Cream Cheese? I’ll pay you back.” Kate asks.

“Yeah sure…it’s normally like $3.50.” I respond.

“Do you have Venmo?” Kate asks, knowing damn well that I don’t.

“No, I don’t, do you have cash?” I ask, knowing damn well she doesn’t carry cash.

“Dude I don’t carry cash. Ugh I don’t understand why you won’t just get a Venmo.” She responds.

“And I don’t understand why you don’t carry around cash.” I clapback.

This was me: everyone always asking me to get them stuff, but never having the cash to pay for it, and all throughout high school, I refused to get Venmo. People at work would always ask me to get them breakfast or lunch but could never pay me back for a couple of weeks. But, my first year of college showed me the beauty that is Venmo. I was sitting in my friend’s room when I finally decided to get one; I can’t remember as to why I got it at that exact moment, but I just felt like I had to finally get Venmo. Venmo is a great way to pay someone when you don’t have cash; it is quick and easy. At Skidmore College, there is an ATM on campus, but it charges you an ATM fee and then Chase–the bank I am associated with–charges me an additional fee. So every time I withdrew cash, I ended up paying way more than I would if I had just had Venmo. And college kids rarely carry money (it is truly a hassle to carry cash tbh) and I got frustrated with spending all this cash using an ATM, so Venmo seemed like a great option!

If you don’t have one, get one!

So Kate, yes I do have  Venmo, so please pay me for the bagel…oh, and start carrying cash.

Ashley Ramsay

Skidmore '21

Ashley is currently a sophomore at Skidmore College, majoring in sociology, with a minor in political science. When she’s not writing posts for Her Campus, she can be found swimming for Skidmore, running, reading (her favorite genre is Dystopian YA novels), and writing short essays.
Morgan Fechter

Skidmore '20

CC of HC Skidmore