This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

It is my fourth week here at Skidmore College and still do not know who my true friends are but that is okay, it takes time and I am learning to be patient. My best advice for college freshman in the future is to just put yourself out there. I know it sounds silly, but it really is true. You will make mistakes and things will not always work out as planned but you will learn, putting yourself out there only helps. This past weekend I went with the Skidmore Outing Club on a backpacking trip and I met some new people as well as getting closer to some people I had previously met. No matter how out of place I felt prior to this trip, backpacking seven miles over two days really does help in terms of bonding with other people. Plus, the views are so incredible that you forget why you were even worried in the first place.

Even if you are not a nature person, perhaps just going on a day hike could help rejuvenate your mind and make you feel more at home. Honestly, my advice is to join clubs and try a bunch of things until you really do find your place. I have not truly found my found my place here yet but I feel like I am beginning to. Nature truly is a beautiful gem and being near the Adirondacks makes Skidmore that much more beautiful and convenient for anyone who loves the outdoors. 

A beautiful sunset has the ability to get you out of your head, and there is immense benefit to just letting yourself detox from the rest of the world during a short one-hour hike. The beauty of the world is one of the most amazing and intoxicating resources out there. It gives you a thrill almost like a runner’s high (which I understand as a runner). The goal of hiking all 46 high peaks in the Adirondacks by the end of four years here is one that many Skidmore Outing Club members strive to reach. My goal is to just enjoy nature and my time at college while continuing to find my way.

Samantha Berger

Skidmore '22

Samantha is a Class of 2022 student at Skidmore College. She's had several photography, writing, and communications internships in and around her hometown of West Bloomfield, Michigan. This includes photographing for Laurie Tennent Studios and the Jewish Community Center of Metro Detroit as well as writing for Downtown Publications. In her free time she loves to run, travel, ski, watch movies, and hang with friends.
Morgan Fechter

Skidmore '20

CC of HC Skidmore