Who Needs a Valentine When You Have Friends?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

Valentine’s day is about celebrating love, whether that be with a significant other, or in my case, a group of friends.

In my freshman year of high school, I met three girls who, to this day, I consider my best friends. On Valentine’s day in 2014 we decided to celebrate each other by going to the movies and eating heart shaped pizzas. This was our first official time hanging out outside of school all together, so it became out friendaversary.

The next year, we ran into some issues because one of my friends had to catch a plane that same day. We put our heads together to try to resolve this life or death dilemma, we decided to settle for a quick lunch just hours before she left on vacation. This is the day we decided to recreate the breakfast club photos because we are just like them, despite our differences we will always be friends.

Junior year we did not celebrate but we remembered each other and celebrated through text message and social media reminding each other that even when we aren’t together are friendship still matters.

Senior year we knew this would be our last time being able to celebrate in person for at least four years. Valentines day 2017 being on a Tuesday did not stop us from celebrating. We went out for a late dinner and were instantly reminded of how strong our friendship was. We chatted for at least an hour making jokes and reminiscing.

This year we are all in different states, California being one of them. Distance doesn’t stop us from sharing our love and appreciation for each other. These girls will be my friends forever and always no matter what.

Morgan Fechter

Skidmore '20

CC of HC Skidmore