When is the “Right” Time to Get into the Holiday Spirit?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

If you’re someone who celebrates Christmas, you know that everyone has a different idea of when the “appropriate” time is to start getting into the holiday spirit. Some people start after Halloween, some after Thanksgiving, and some people listen to Christmas music year-round. Over the years I have found this to be a divisive topic; in my house, we put on the holiday radio station for the first time in the car on the way home from Thanksgiving. Michael Bublé Christmas album before Thanksgiving? Absolutely not. The day after? Get out the jingle bells. 

I have a personal dilemma about this choice; on one hand, I do not want to overshadow the other holidays by starting to get festive too early, but also, in my (unpopular) opinion, the weeks leading up to Christmas are far better than the day itself. So, why not make the most of the “most wonderful time of the year?”

For the most part, I am in the camp of waiting until after Thanksgiving to turn on the Christmas tunes, but I have to admit I put on some festive Mariah Carey the other day when we got a lot of snow. To me, snow always equals festive, so I can make an exception. Plus, “All I Want for Christmas is You” is an excellent song any day of the year. 

Now that the first snowfall has begun to melt, my festivity is back in hibernation, at least until the end of the week. There is no “right” or “wrong” time to start celebrating the holidays, in fact, I think the world would be a much happier place if we were all always filled with thankful and giving spirit. So, no matter your views on this topic, try to channel the joy of the holiday season in the weeks leading up to December 25th, and hopefully you’ll be inspired to continue doing so into the new year!

Morgan Fechter

Skidmore '20

CC of HC Skidmore