What Would You Do? The Ultimate Skidmore Bucket List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

Most seniors don’t need a reminder that graduation is just around the corner. With May 21st less than 100 days away, perhaps it’s time to stop thinking about what you’ll do after that date and start thinking about what you can do before then. We have precious few months left on Skidmore Campus and it’s time to make the most of it. And for all you lucky underclassmen out there – start on your bucket list while you still have the chance. Here at Her Campus we started to brainstorm some of the essential things to check off that list before your time on campus expires.

• Go to the TANG…Just for fun.

For some of us, the TANG Museum is just another one of the buildings you spend your time in. For the rest of the student body, it’s time to go down and check out that funky white building you pass on the way to the Athletic Center. Skidmore’s own TANG Teaching Museum and Art Gallery is actually pretty famous and definitely impressive. The recent exhibition, “The Jewel Thief,” was featured in the New York Times, and in the past, various exhibitions have received press across New York State. The established museum is often lucky enough to host nationally and internationally known artists in a variety of its exhibitions and displays. The TANG is something we at Skidmore should be proud of and no senior should graduate without having at least gone to see what the fuss was all about. Currently, the museum features the exhibition, “Environment and Object: Recent African Art,” which is a must see while it’s still here. Open your mind, explore the TANG and realize that art isn’t so inaccessible to us non-art majors after all.

• Speaking of the TANG, go to a roof party! Or make your own.
  • Hook up…

On a lighter note, no bucket list would be complete without the goal of hooking up in some of Skidmore’s most scandalous locations.
– The library. Putting that senior study room to good use…
– The D-Hall. You’ve tried their food, now it’s time to try their surfaces. Think second floor.
– Back in the dorms. It’s a pretty good excuse to talk to that cute sophomore…or was he a freshman?
– A classroom. Take your pick.
-The roof of the Tang. Improvise.
If you’ve somehow miraculously covered the basics above in your four years, then try: Athletic Center, CASE, or outside on a sports field.

• Watch a sports game you’ve never seen.

If you find you spend most of your time cheering on the hockey and lacrosse team, why not support the Thoroughbreds at a tennis match or a swim meet? It might be fun to see what else Skidmore’s athletes have to offer.

• Take a physical activity class.

This one has two parts, both of which made our bucket list. First, sign up for a physical activity class. It’s a great way to make sure you stay in shape, try something new AND receive college credit while you’re at it. Our favorite picks include Pilates, Racquetball, Weight Lifting and Swim for Fitness. The second part is a well-kept secret of Skidmore: Did you know that we have FREE gym classes like yoga that you can take just for fun? Well now you do. Sign-up sheets are located at the front desk of the Sports Center in a white binder. (Be sure to sign up 2 or 3 weeks in advance.)

• Ride a horse!

Skidmore offers something you’ll generally never have the chance to do again: go horseback riding twice a week for an entire semester for only $250! Usually, lessons can cost about $50 per session.  Take advantage of the beautiful Skidmore stables and horses and learn something new! We are the Thoroughbreds after all, and living in a world-famous racing community.

• Venture into Northwoods and check out Falstaff’s.

I admit, I’m guilty. In four years I haven’t once been to this infamous cabin hidden in the depths of Northwoods. Falstaff’s puts on concerts, dances and other fundraisers for many of Skidmore’s clubs, bands and organizations. From neon themed raves to chilled-out acoustic nights, Falstaff’s has something for everyone. If you’re bored of the usual downtown scene, grab a friend and try something different at Falstaff’s – you just might find something you like.

• Eat a late-night (or very early morning) breakfast at Compton’s.

Because where else would you go after Peabody’s shuts its doors at 4:30 a.m.?

Adriana is a junior at Skidmore College, with an English major and Studio Art and French double minor. Born and raised in the Main Line suburbs of Philadelphia, Adriana loves to travel, write, and paint. She has spent summers in France and Italy studying fashion, painting, and art history, and recently finished her semester abroad in Paris. At Skidmore, Adriana enjoys participating in musicals, club soccer and field hockey, and writing for the school newspaper. With advertising and graphic design internships under her belt, Adriana is excited to continue her experience in journalism at Her Campus, and eventually get a law degree. In her free time, she loves to play tennis, paint oil portraits, and play the piano.