This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

The concept of Thanksgiving is a beautiful idea: family comes together over a bountiful meal while reflecting on the good of the past year, proclaiming their undying gratitude for all their blessings. Of course, for college students, Thanksgiving break is more than a home cooked meal. It has evolved into, both, a type of potentially awkward and glorious homecoming, as you are instantly thrown back into the the world you once knew. Because aside from seeing our loving family again, there are many other key components that Thanksgiving break entails. 

For example(s): 

Upon arrival at your home, the reunion with your bed is so real. Admittedly, you like your dorm, it’s pretty comfy, but that’s the thing: it’s just comfy enough. It’s not the top line kind of bed comfort that you’ve worn in for the past eighteen years.

The dining hall is above average. Downtown Saratoga has many restaurant options, whether they’re affordable or not isn’t too important, because the choices are available. But, nothing tastes like a good homemade meal – and Thanksgiving provides that in bulk.

One of the most awkward parts of Thanksgiving is mingling with extended family. One of the worst questions to be asked: so, do you have a boyfriend? If you are in a committed relationship, lucky you! However, if you are single, like most of us, well . . . if T-Swift can admit to a solo Netflix and chill, then so can we.

On the subject of extended family, another potentially awkward question: what’s your major? This then likely prompts the actual awkward question: oh, what do you plan to do with that? Do not feel pressured to answer this question. You are not required to know.  If you do, that’s great, but if you don’t just remember that no one does what you do, the way you do it.

Even though you are the best at what you do, we procrastinate. It’s that simple. Once we get home, we forget about any homework that was assigned over break and instead look towards anything that will allow us to keep forgetting that it exists.

Another thing that happens when you return to you humble home: you get your bathroom back. There’s no more sharing. You can shower whenever you want, you can shower for as long as you want, and you can shower without flip-flops. But the best part: there is no one to judge you for singing in the shower, so you can belt as much as Adele.   

One of the most off-putting things of coming back home is realizing how out of touch you are with the outer-world. You’ve been in a campus bubble or the Skidmore bubble as many of you put it. You’re not even aware of what movies are currently out. Thanksgiving is a wake-up call that reminds you of life and news off-campus.

You’re not the only one to come home for Thanksgiving, because all your friends also come home too! There is so much to catch-up on and as you exchange stories, you’ll realize that although your squad has grown, it is still totally intact. Seeing your friends during Thanksgiving break is a heart-wrenching experience that is equal to, if not slightly better than, your bed reunion. 

Thanksgiving break is also the time to ask for a little side cash, cause let’s face it: you’re in college, it’s unlikely that you have a strong, secure source of a steady income. You’re inevitably, probably broke.

By the end of break, you’ve procrastinated too much via television, friends, family, movies, etc. You’ve eaten more than you would like to admit. You now realize that you truly, never want to leave your bed again. But you have to go back to school and finish out those last few weeks before winter break, which you are now super psyched to get to, but you’re not really ready for the unavoidable: FINALS. Luckily, you’ve accepted that you’re not prepared for finals, but you have also been restored and are looking forward to finishing them, only to come home yet again. 

A senior at Skidmore College, who loves beagles, batman, and sushi. You can find me dreaming about Anderson Cooper and doing crossword puzzles.