What It’s Like to Be in a Long-Distance Relationship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

We either love it or hate it. It’s the LDR (long-distance relationship). Now that we’ve just returned from winter break, lots of us are leaving behind our love buddies back home. (Just in time for Valentine’s Day, conveniently.) Whether he or she goes to another college or is still stuck in high school, the absence is rough. No one can tell you what your LDR will be like–or whether it’s worth it–but it never hurts to hear how it worked out for your fellow collegiettes.

Let’s just say… I for one have experienced a not-so-wonderful LDR (long-distance relationship). However, they seem to be very popular here at Skidmore. Maybe it’s the 60/40 ratio… but if you’re trying to find a guy who wants a relationship here, I would say, have fun on your endless journey! I mean, even Cosmo agrees. We were ranked as the tenth worst college to meet single guys. I’m surprised we weren’t ranked higher.

Going into an LDR, you don’t understand what it’s really going to be like. One thing that I had to learn to recognize on my own was that feeling. The feeling you get when you just aren’t satisfied with Skype dates, texting all day, and sending each other Snapchats. You feel as if you’re missing out on the “R” part of the LDR. Needless to say, there are pros and cons to the LDR. Check out the best and the worst of the bunch!

PRO: Actually finding out if you have a future together…

CON: Having to see all the other couples around campus…

PRO: Letters, care packages, flowers, gifts gifts gifts!

CON: That feeling you get when you just want to be with them…

PRO: How it feels after finally being reunited…

CON: The time difference…

PRO: People assuming you’re single…

CON: Having to spend birthdays, anniversaries, and Valentine’s Day apart…

PRO: Getting time to yourself…

CON: Having to say goodbye…

CON: The distance… obviously.

Regardless of the cons of an LDR, there are still many people who keep a LDR going throughout college. Just keep in mind: an LDR isn’t easy. Just like any other realtionship, it requires time and effort. Espcially if you want it to work.

Have you been in an LDR? Tell us YOUR pros and cons in the comments!

A senior at Skidmore College, who loves beagles, batman, and sushi. You can find me dreaming about Anderson Cooper and doing crossword puzzles.