Vintage 101: Your Guide to Vintage Shopping, Part 1

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

Once, during a deeply meaningful conversation with one of my closest friends, I came to realize that she had no idea what a thrift store was. She’s from Colombia and had been living in Boston for years now—how could she have not gone thrifting, I wondered? No excuses. I dedicate these article entries to her. Each week or so, we will add a new countdown revolving around the theme of vintage, so you can find the piece that makes your friends ask, “Where did you get that?”

5 Best Vintage Items to Look Out for:

5. Skirts

If you frequent thrift stores often, you probably 
bypass the dresses and skirts because as nostalgic as ankle length wear may be, it’s not working for the 21st century. The obvious fix is to tailor the article of clothing to a modern length. But for an even quicker fix, see if the skirt could work as a dress. It sounds a little experimental, and I warn that this trick does not work on all skirts (especially thick ones). But for a fabric pattern you’re dying to have, bring the waist up to a strapless dress height, cinch it at the smallest part of your waist with a belt and see how it looks. It might end up being shirt length, but with vintage, you have to be flexible.

4. Furniture and Art

These items are probably not the first that come to
 mind when you think vintage, but if clothes express your taste and style, your dorm or apartment should too! Your grandparents’ furniture may look dingy now, but that’s probably because it’s on a shag carpet where every piece of furniture is stuck in time. Take it out of context, and the pieces will look beautiful. If you can’t get access to a free source, you can always shop around town. Reruns on Phila Street has tons of antiques to give your space your own style.

3. Purses, Glasses, and Hair Accessories

Putting a small touch of vintage in your outfit makes for a lot of personality. The great thing about accessories is that they are one size fits all. These items 
are ideal to look for in your mom or grandmother’s wardrobe for that reason. Patterned silk scarves (for your hair or neck), small clutches and tortoise shell glasses are especially popular right now. Vintage isn’t always about being trendy, though. You can harp on any time period with accessories. A 20’s feather headpiece may be your style, or an 80’s metallic purse may find a home in your closet. Having a vintage piece often means it’s unique, and your style deserves nothing less than being your own style.

2. Oversized Wool Sweaters

I see this trend all over campus. I call them the grandpa sweaters (however, they look better on us!) and they 
tend to go well with skinny jeans or leggings. I plead however, that your grandpa sweater covers your back end if you go for the latter. The wool keeps you warm, but I recommend wearing a tight long sleeve shirt underneath to block the wind, and to keep the itchy wool material off your skin. That adorable belt you just bought is not for this occasion. The style is to wear it loose which is why tight pants are the right complement to keep you from looking baggy. Be wary also of button downs, zip ups, and vests—this is not a tacky Christmas party.

1. Jewelry and Shoes

Shoes and Jewelry are the number one go-to vintage items. Just like the accessories in number 3, they are the easiest to find in your mom’s old wardrobe. You really can’t go wrong with earrings, necklaces, rings, watches, bracelets, and so forth since they are so apt to match with modern
clothing. Vintage heels and flats will definitely make a statement. Often, these shoes will be missing a rubber stop on the heel, leaving an exposed screw in its place. I find this charming but it could give you a little room to bargain with the storekeeper. Another telltale sign of a vintage shoe is the elegant amount of toe cleavage it allows. The front of the shoe will dip into a V, exposing your toes a little bit more than any pair of Steve Maddens I’ve seen.

Audrey is a class of 2013 English major at Skidmore College. She has held several communications internships in her hometown of Nashville, TN, including ones at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, the Tennessee Center for Policy Research, Nissan's North American Headquarters, and at Katcher Vaughn and Bailey Public Relations. In her free time, she loves to bake for family and friends, exercise by swimming, and loves all things Parisian. Audrey can't wait to continue her journalism experience with Her Campus as a campus correspondent. Having lived in Nashville, France and New York, Audrey has found a love for travel, and hopes to discover a new city after Skidmore where she plans to continue onto law school.