freestocks ChaY8166imQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks ChaY8166imQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Valentines Day Movies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

Valentines Day is a Hallmark holiday that annually causes us to binge-watch movies like, The Notebook and The Titanic with a strong hope that we too will one day find cinematic worthy love. Or maybe you’ve already found it. Or maybe, you laugh at the holiday and watch the movies to make fun of the “over the top” romance on screen. But whatever it is, Valentines Day has prompted us to watch Noah and Allie, or Jack and Rose, fall in love – again. 

However, if you’re looking for something beyond these two reliable “go-to’s” then definitely check out these titles, which are all dependent on your personal preference.    

If You Want to Cry:

·      Blue Valentine (2010) – Starring Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams

·      Ghost (1990) – Starring Patrick Swayze and Demi Moore

·      My Week With Marilyn (2011) – Starring Eddie Redmayne and Michelle Williams

·      The Last Song (2010) – Starring Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth

*   These films will have you sniffling, at least.  If you’re looking to cry and eat a pint of Ben and Jerry’s, one of these should help you complete that goal.

If You Want a Classic:

·      Gone With the Wind (1939) – Starring Vivien Leigh, Leslie Howard, and Clark Gable

·      How Harry Met Sally (1989) – Starring Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan

·      Pretty Woman (1990) – Starring Richard Gere and Julia Roberts

·      She’s All That (1999) – Starring Rachel Leigh Cook and Freddie Prinze Jr.

*  These choices are timeless. 

If You Don’t Want to See Another Heterosexual Couple Fall in Love:

·      Blue is the Warmest Color (2013) – Starring Adele Exarchopoulos and Lea Seydoux

·      Brokeback Mountain (2005) – Starring Jake Gyllenhaal and Heath Ledger

·      Kissing Jessica Stein (2001)Starring Jennifer Westfeldt  

·      Weekend (2011) – Starring Tom Cullen and Chris New

*  Sometimes you don’t want to see another heterosexual couple fall in love again, sometimes we want another truth – one that should be shown more.

If You Want to Laugh:

·      13 Going on 30 (2004) – Starring Jennifer Garner and Mark Ruffalo

·      500 Days of Summer (2009) – Starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zooey Deschanel

·      Silver Lining’s Playbook (2012) – Starring Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence

·      Stuck in Love (2012) – Starring Jennifer Connelly, Greg Kinnear, Lily Collins, and Nat Wolf

*  If you’re in the mood for a classic rom-com type night then any one of these is a classic standby pick.

If You Want to Sing:

·      Across the Universe (2007) – Starring Jim Sturgess and Evan Rachel Wood

·      Grease (1978) – Starring John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John

·      Once (2007) – Starring Marketa Irglova and Glen Hansard

·      Rent (2005) – Starring Anthony Rapp, Adam Pascal, and Idina Menzel

*  In the mood to sing with your romantic side intact?  You can easily do that with any of these films.

Have a very happy Valentines Day!

A senior at Skidmore College, who loves beagles, batman, and sushi. You can find me dreaming about Anderson Cooper and doing crossword puzzles.