Valentine’s Day Can Be Weird (So Here’s How to Make the Best of It)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

Being single for most of my time in college has been just as much of a learning experience as the classes I’ve taken each semester. Just as I would not know how to write a convincing essay without crafting countless ones in the library night after night, I would not have learned what it feels like to be indepedent or how to foster new friendships and relationships if I was always so intimately entangled with someone else. I love relationships and I love love; but at the end of the day, Valentine’s Day kind of freaks me out. You with me? If so, here are some things to keep in mind this V-Day because let’s be honest, who’s a better Valentine than you?

1. Take today to detox from social media (all your bff’s may be posting pictures with their boyfriends–or hey, even a #girlgang shot–but you can always like it tomorrow).

2. If that’s too much for you, take a page from our favorite cool girl Cher Horowitz from Clueless and buy yourself some nice flowers or choclate you can enjoy (and then shamelessly post on Insta). 

3. Whether your vice is going to get manicure, curling up on the couch with your favorite book (not one assigned for class), or buying cliched but oh-so-delicious Valentine’s Day chocolates: indulge today, sista.

4. If the above is too laid back, focus your energy and be productive. Get ahead on an upcoming essay, look up some fun DIY Pinterest projects, or answer those emails inevitably piling up in your inbox.

5. Don’t stress about whatever your current romantic situation is, if this is something you normally stress about. Today’s about all kinds of love. 

6. Get together with the people you want to be around–friends, family near and far, or your current bae. Facetime makes distance a little easier, so take advantage! A nice dinner with the girls or with your special someone is always a Valentine’s Day staple for a reason. 

7. Take the time to tell all of those people why you luvvvv them. 

8. At the end of the day, remember that you can have as many (or as few) Valentines as your heart desires, but one of them better be yourself!

English Major and Business Minor at Skidmore College and new Co-CC of Skidmore HC. Spends free time hanging out with friends, taking yoga classes and dancing, and admittedly binge-watching her favorite Netflix shows.