Top Ten: September Events!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

Whether this is your first year or your last year there are always new things to discover about our city. Check out Her Campus’s top 10 picks for September.

Color Me Rad 5k Run to benefit Special Olympics New York
Saturday, Sept. 22, 9am, Altamont Fairgrounds, Albany

• You may have participated in a charity run before, but Color Me Rad is a whole different kind of race. Waves of runners get hit with wet paint for the duration of the entire run. Not getting a good visual? Check out this video!
  • $50 for late registration until September 19th. Entrance fee includes a free shirt and small color packet. Or you can sign up to volunteer.

Saratoga Artisans and Crafters’ Market
Thursdays, 10am-4pm, High Rock Avenue two blocks off Broadway and Lake Ave. Free event. Through the end of September. Click for more info!

• Check out a great selection of locally made clothing, jewelry, photography, ceramics, soaps and lotion, handbags, textiles, and home accessories. Also featuring shoe and leather repair, sharpening services, massages, and track hats. 

Stefania Neonato at Zankel
Friday, Sept. 28, 8pm. Tickets $8 for adults, $5 for seniors/Skidmore staff/retirees/alumni. Free for students and children. Click here.

• Native Italian Stefania Neonato earned her foretepiano master’s degree at the Imola International Academy under Stefano Fluzzi and her doctorate of musical arts in historical performance practice at Cornell under Malcom Bilson.

Apple Picking at Saratoga Apple

Open seven days a week 9am-7pm Sept.-Oct. 9am-6pm year round. Website here

• Pick some apples, enjoy hot cider, go for a wagon ride (available only on weekends), and munch on freshly made cider donuts. To get the best bang for your buck split a large half-bushel bag (roughly 20lbs of apples) for $20 between two friends.
  • You can also pick up local veggies and fruit and other homemade products.
  • Starting September 15th Country Fiddlers every Saturday and Robanic Caribbean music Sundays

SPAC Battle of the Bands
Friday, September 21 6pm, Spa Little Theatre. $15 general admission. Check the website for more info!

• Performances by VONTUS, The Spiffsters, Next Station, The Mysteios, The Margo Macero Project, Jocamo, Hard Soul, Folding Sky, CRUSH, and The Dependents. Judged by Vinne Amico (drummer of Moe), Greg Hames (editor and head writer for Nippertown) & Joe Marshall (EQX DJ). 

Emerging Artist Acoustic College Night at Caffè Lena
Wednesday, Sept. 19, 7pm, $5 tickets. More info here.

• Don’t miss your Skidmore peers getting some local attention!

“Inappropriate: The Art of Children’s Books”
Thursday, Sept. 20, 5:15-7pm in Gannett Auditorium. Reception to follow.

• American writer and children’s book author Elisha Cooper will be writing and drawing as he delivers this year’s Fox Adler Lecture.

Faculty Art Exhibition
Tuesday, Oct. 2nd, 4-5pm. Gallery talk, Schick Art Gallery.

• Come see the work of Art Department members Trish Lyell (drawing), Deborah Morris (painting), Victoria Palermo (sculpture), and Matthew Wilt (ceramics) in the Schick Art Gallery located in the Saisselin Art Center.

Third Annual Hillbilly Bash

Saturday, Sept. 22, 4-11pm, The Saratoga Winery & Tasting Room 462 Rt. 29 West. $10 cover, ages 12 and under free. Cash bar for wine and food. Click here to check it out!

• Don’t forget your favorite pair of overalls, a bandana, and your best plaid shirt and head to Saratoga Winery for an evening of live music, a pig roast, wood fired pizzas from Grill 64 and of course, fabulous wine.

Haunted History Ghostwalks of Saratoga
Saturday, Sept. 29, 7-9pm. $10 adults, $5 ages 7-11. Website

• 90-minute walking tour of downtown Saratoga Springs created by supernatural historian Mason Winfield. Uncover the spooky secrets of our peaceful little college town.
Emma Weinstein is a senior at Skidmore College majoring in Art History. She loves being a part of Her Campus Skidmore and has written articles throughout her four years. Emma is an avid equestrian and member of the Riding Team. Other hobbies include travel, cooking, and personal fitness.
Audrey is a class of 2013 English major at Skidmore College. She has held several communications internships in her hometown of Nashville, TN, including ones at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, the Tennessee Center for Policy Research, Nissan's North American Headquarters, and at Katcher Vaughn and Bailey Public Relations. In her free time, she loves to bake for family and friends, exercise by swimming, and loves all things Parisian. Audrey can't wait to continue her journalism experience with Her Campus as a campus correspondent. Having lived in Nashville, France and New York, Audrey has found a love for travel, and hopes to discover a new city after Skidmore where she plans to continue onto law school.