pang yuhao kd5cxwZOK4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
pang yuhao kd5cxwZOK4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Top 10 Pros and Cons of Graduating Early

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

Four years is a long time, and especially during the crucial college years, a lot can change in that span. By the time senior year rolls around, a lot of Skidmore collegiettes find themselves feeling burnt out and anxious to move on. And instead of biding their time, some are even dealing with this problem by graduating a semester early.

This can be an intimidating decision to make. There’s a lot of pressure on senior year to be full of crazy moments and lasting memories, and that’s not always easy to give up. However, finishing in the fall also has a lot of benefits that shouldn’t be ignored. Though this decision isn’t right for everyone, it’s certainly worth considering the pros and cons of early graduation as the end of college nears.

PRO: You can save a lot of money

Skidmore tuition is undeniably expensive, not to mention the hefty cost of books and housing. Whether you’re planning on heading to grad school or moving to the city, these expenses are a lot to handle. Though you still pay for seven semesters, graduating a semester early saves about $30,000, and that’s a number that’s hard to ignore.

CON: You can save money in other ways, too

In fact, many students choose to register as part-time students for their final semesters in order to avoid paying full tuition. It’s a compromise that allows students to stay in school but at a much more manageable price. (Plus, part-time status gives you more time for the job hunt and/or taking on extra internships and part-time jobs.)

PRO: Cut the senioritis

That pre-graduation motivation drop we all experienced in high school was real, and it often comes back to haunt us as we approach college graduation, too. Cutting off the year before spiraling too far behind is a reasonable way to avoid the problem altogether and keep those final grades up for a stellar G.P.A.

CON: Add to senior stress

Many majors require final Capstone projects, and the all-college maturity requirements mandates that students must take twelve 300-level credits during senior year. While doable, pulling these off in one semester isn’t exactly a breeze (and can put a lot of pressure on that final semester).

PRO: Not all ties are cut

Graduating early doesn’t mean leaving Skidmore entirely in the dust. Students are still invited to attend senior events like the 100 Days Dance and Senior Week, and certainly can walk at graduation. So you get all the perks of that final semester without the classes and assignments along with them.

CON: Every weekend counts

For many, senior year is a time to celebrate with friends and enjoy every last bit of college. While it’s easy to come back into town for major events, it’s impossible to make every weekend and even weekday event, so graduating early would inevitably mean missing some friend time. FOMO, anyone?

[pagebreak]

PRO: Rocking the job search

Every May, masses of college graduates enter the world in the hopes of finding jobs and apartments, and the competition is fierce. But in January, the applicant pool shrinks significantly, and the number of open positions tends to rise at the end of the year. Taking advantage of the early job search can give graduates a huge leg-up and put them in prime position for that dream job.

CON:  …There’s no guarantee

Being home alone without a job is a lot less fun than being one of many friends in that position. So while getting a job immediately would be amazing, not being able to get one would make for an even more frustrating post-graduation experience.

PRO: Getting to enter the real world

College is fun, but it’s also largely a bubble–especially at Skidmore, let’s be honest. After being in school for nearly our entire lives, finally being able to get a move on and live the grown-up life sounds like a breath of fresh air. Plus, living on a small college campus, while fun, is also incredibly limiting and thus hard to endure for four whole years.

CON: “Wait, I have to be an adult now?”

Not everyone is ready to move on and enter the “real world.” Some people want to take full advantage of their youth and the comfort that comes with living in such a secure environment. Why rush things if you have the rest of your life to deal with adulthood?

Skidmore students always find their own paths, and that rule doesn’t end when it comes to graduation. It’s perfectly fine to graduate in May as scheduled, but don’t feel confined to that norm. If you finish your major(s) early and are itching for post-grad plans, this option just might be right for you.

Would YOU consider graduating early? Tell us your pros and cons in the comments!

Remy Marin

Skidmore '15

Remy is an English major and dance minor at Skidmore College. In addition to being CC, Remy is the VP of Outreach of Skidmore's peer mediation group and apprentice for Mediation Matters in Saratoga Springs.