Tips for Hosting the Perfect Holiday Party

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

Alright collegiettes, we’ve gotten through the final push of exams and what’s a great way to reward yourself after a stressful semester? Throw a holiday soirée with your friends from home! Here are a few tips and ideas for hosting a great holiday party!

• Invites: You could either go for a standard Facebook event, or you could check out websites for paperless invitations, like Paperlesspost.com or Cocodot.com.

• Decorate
    ! Tis’ the season, right? Holiday lights are a must, but try to think outside of the box, too. Candles add a nice ambience. Those mini-faux Christmas trees that you can find from Target are an awesome idea! And glitter and shimmer are very in right now. Color scheme? Yes, red and green are always in for Christmas, but what about a nice crisp white?
  • Winter and holiday activities. Paper Source has a ton of fun party ideas for inspiration.  Or you could host a good old Yankee-swap, gift-wrapping party, tree-trimming or cookie making! Have options for your guests.
  • Cookies and Milk: Have plenty of food, but don’t expect to have a sit-down dinner.  Finger foods will do the trick: guacamole, veggies, hummus, pigs in a blanket, mozzarella sticks. The options are endless.
  • Eggnog: Whether or not you are old enough to drink, beverages can be served in champagne and wine glasses. If you and your guests can’t drink (and I suggest that if it is split, just to avoid alcohol all together), pour sparkling cider into a nice champagne glass. Cider and eggnog too. If you do decide to serve alcohol at your party, always make sure that guests have a safe ride home.
  • Music: Make a Christmas playlist. It’s often good to ask one of the guests to do this (many times they will offer). Mix in some oldies and newer hits for a modern festive touch.
  • Little Reminders: Don’t forget to provide plenty of seating for your guests to sit down and catch up with each other!

Another nice touch? Set out a can out for your guests to donate to a local charity. After all, it is the season to be giving! Happy Holiday’s collegiettes!

Sources:
·      http://www.laurenconrad.com/post/party-planning-holiday-bash
·      http://www.laurenconrad.com/post/holiday-special-deck-the-halls-christmas-decoration-ideas-crafts

Cara is a Senior at Skidmore College, where she majors in Gender Studies, and minors in Sociology. When not studying at the library, she works in retail, interns, participates in student government and tries to keep up with all the latest fashion news!
Audrey is a class of 2013 English major at Skidmore College. She has held several communications internships in her hometown of Nashville, TN, including ones at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, the Tennessee Center for Policy Research, Nissan's North American Headquarters, and at Katcher Vaughn and Bailey Public Relations. In her free time, she loves to bake for family and friends, exercise by swimming, and loves all things Parisian. Audrey can't wait to continue her journalism experience with Her Campus as a campus correspondent. Having lived in Nashville, France and New York, Audrey has found a love for travel, and hopes to discover a new city after Skidmore where she plans to continue onto law school.