Thanksgiving Foods, Ranked

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

Seeing as it’s an integral holiday in the Greatest Season of the Year, I think Thanksgiving tends to get overlooked. Sandwiched in between Halloween and Christmas/Hanukkah, my personal favorite American holiday (sorry, Fourth of July) gets dealt the short stick. I’m here to fight that with one simple statement: Thanksgiving is literally a holiday dedicated to eating. I know the holiday has very, very questionable and racist roots, and I keep that solemn feeling in my heart throughout the weekend, but I also cherish and enjoy the time I spend with my family (and food!) on Thanksgiving. My family is notorious for going overboard on the food, so I feel like I have to choose wisely at the dinner table to make sure I have enough room left to drown in dessert. In honor of the holiday, I have decided to, without bias, rank the top ten Thanksgiving from worst to best. Here we go.

10. Whatever Vegetable Is On The Table: Obviously

9. Squash: Just the word “squash” grosses me out. Sorry not sorry.

8. Turkey: I’m actually really not a big fan of turkey. By no means is it the star of the show for me, and I really don’t understand why we spend like 10 hours cooking it.

7. Cranberry Sauce: I want to like it, but I just don’t. Sorry.

6. Stuffing: I used to really like stuffing, but I once ate way too much of it and now it kind of makes me sick.

5. Corn: Corn is the best vegetable, don’t fight me on this.

4. Sweet Potatoes: The second best potato dish. My aunt makes a pretty unbelievable sweet potato.

3. Popovers: If your family makes these, you know why they’re the best. If they don’t, let this picture do the talking:

2. Mac and Cheese: Need I say any more?

1. Mashed Potatoes: Hands down, no questions asked, the best Thanksgiving food of all time. When I was in fifth grade and we were learning to write paragraphs I wrote one on my grandma’s mashed potatoes. It’s framed and still hanging in their kitchen. Mashed potatoes 4 lyfe.

Gwen is a senior, English major, and co-CC of Her Campus Skidmore. She spends a lot of time watching Pretty Little Liars and Fixer Upper, listening to music, staring at her comptuer screen and wishing words would come easier, and waiting for the New York Islanders to win another Stanley Cup (preferably at the Coli). Also, she really likes cheese and is trying to learn to skateboard. It's not going very well.