Stefan Cocorelis: DJ COCO

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

Stefan Cocorelis ’13 is ending his Skidmore DJ career with a bang at today’s Fun Day Festival. He’s well known around campus not only for his DJing skills, but also for his involvement in many clubs – including FIGHTClub and ISU – and for being an all-around classy guy. We can’t wait to hear what he has in store for this afternoon!

Her Campus: How long have you been DJing?

Stefan Cocorelis: Haha, tricky question.  I have been playing shows for people since the fall of my sophomore year (so like, almost 2 1/2 years?) but I have been kind of a “one man show” since my freshman year and back.

HC: How did you get started?

SC: I guess the first time I really got started is when I downloaded a basic DJ program during my second semester of my freshmen year and started forcing my then-roommate to listen to me play songs.  After that I found some friends [who] were also getting into it, we started developing our skill set, and I finally played my first live show in Falstaff’s in the early fall of my sophomore year.

HC: What’s your favorite part of DJing?

SC: Ahh good question… well, what initially drew me to DJing was wanting to have somewhat of a control over the songs that were played.  I used to go to dance parties, and when a great song came on I sometimes thought, “Oh wow, this is so great, I know the perfect song to go right after this!”  So being able to do that was my favorite thing for a while, but now I think I can say that my favorite part of DJing is having a “perfect set.”  By a perfect set I mean being in a situation where you are really in sync with the crowd that you are playing for and that the songs you are playing are some that you love at the same time.

HC: What’s been your favorite gig so far?

SC: Hmm… I think that depends.  Each “gig” is unique in its own way, and that’s what makes playing each time special.  But I think though that there have been times that have really stuck with me, and those were my first DJ show (because I was so nervous and it turned out amazing), Fall Fun Day (because it was one of the most near-perfect sets I’ve had) and the last party I played for ISU (because it was my last show for the club that let me play for the first time and it was really emotional).  I do really have a soft spot for Fun Day though ’cause I think it really fits the style I like to play.

[pagebreak]

HC: What are you planning on pulling out for your Fun Day set?

SC: Well, the type of style that I go for when I play Fun Day is upbeat, high-energy, fun music.  It’s really great for me because it’s the style of songs I like to play the most.  For Fall Fun Day I played a mix of popular songs with some remixes, eventually moving on to heavy dance music and closed it out with some hip hop, and that’s what I’m thinking of doing for this time as well.  I don’t want this time to be identical to last though, and I’m gonna mix it up with some new stuff as well, so you can look out for that, too.

HC: What made you want to play Fun Day?

SC: Like I said before, the type of music genres that I associate Fun Day with are high-energy and fun.  I feel like people really want to celebrate and let go of stress (at least I do…) and I feel that music plays a big part of that.  Like I said before, I really like playing that type of music, so that combined with the great energy and atmosphere that is there really makes it worthwhile.

HC: What’s your favorite Fun Day memory so far?

SC: Hmm… I would probably have to say my last set at Fall Fun Day, because it was one of the best sets that I have played, but there have been a lot of other great times that I have spent with friends as well.  The great thing about Fun Day, in my opinion, is that you really don’t have that many expectations; that you just go out, let loose, and have the most amount of fun as you can, and its just about having a great time with your friends.

HC: What’s your ultimate Fun Day tip?

SC: [Laughs] Umm… pace yourselves?  ‘Nuff said.

Remy Marin

Skidmore '15

Remy is an English major and dance minor at Skidmore College. In addition to being CC, Remy is the VP of Outreach of Skidmore's peer mediation group and apprentice for Mediation Matters in Saratoga Springs.
Kate is the Associate Editor of Her Campus. Before joining the staff full-time, Kate was the Campus Correspondent for the HC Skidmore College chapter as well as an editorial intern, Love editor, and national contributing writer for HC. In addition to her work with Her Campus, Kate has been a Sex & Love stringer and digital editorial intern for WomensHealthMag.com and an Inner Circle Trendspotter for MTV. Kate graduated from Skidmore College summa cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa with a Bachelor of Arts in English and French. In her spare time, Kate is usually spotted writing fiction, playing tennis, reading pop culture blogs until her eyes hurt, baking cookies, or dreaming up her next travel adventure.