Spring Break Staycation Necessities

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

I am the Queen of spending Spring Break at home. Seriously, save the semester I was abroad, I’ve spent every single Spring Break week chilling at my house on Long Island, while all my friends were away on tropical islands, or skiing, or having the time of their lives in Disney World and Europe. And, honestly, I don’t hate it. I’m a big fan of Spring Break at home, and I truly think you can have just as good a time at home as you could in Barbados.

Just like travelling, though, you need a few supplies to make sure your Spring Break is the best it can be. Here are my top necessities for the best ever Spring Break staycation.

1. A Netflix subscription. Or Hulu. Or HBOGo. Whichever. They’re all like $10 a month or less—if you just do it for this month and then cancel it’s a total bargain! Hook it up to an actual TV, not just your laptop, and it’s basically like being in a movie theater. Watch movies, or pig out on reality TV (that’s what I’ll be doing). Finally jump on that Stranger Things bandwagon, or educate yourself with one of the dozens of awesome documentaries on Netflix. Whatever you do, you’re pretty much guaranteed to be entertained. 
  2. Sweatpants. Not leggings, I’m talking about the giant, baggy, fuzzy, ugly sweatpants that they sell in the Skid Shop.
  3. A face mask to wear while you watch TV and relax on the couch. My favorite is the Origins charcoal mask, but Ulta and Sephora both sell a ton of awesome and inexpensive sheet masks. Hydrate that skin and head back to school even more glowy than your friend who went to Aruba.
  4. Snacks galore. Duh. Hit up the grocery store like it’s about to be the zombie apocalypse.
  5. A pile of books or magazines. Read something that isn’t academic for a change! I bet you’ll be surprised how long it’s been since you did.

There you have it! If you have all of those things I truly think you can enjoy your Spring Break at home, even if all your friends from home and school are away. Mix it up with some time spent exploring your hometown (bet you haven’t done that since high school!) and you’re in for a memorable break for sure!

Gwen is a senior, English major, and co-CC of Her Campus Skidmore. She spends a lot of time watching Pretty Little Liars and Fixer Upper, listening to music, staring at her comptuer screen and wishing words would come easier, and waiting for the New York Islanders to win another Stanley Cup (preferably at the Coli). Also, she really likes cheese and is trying to learn to skateboard. It's not going very well.